Noob BCD question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to say ABSOLUTELY!!!! I started with a vest style BC then ventured to a Zeagle tech and now have landed on a DiveRite SS backplate with wing and harness,,,it rocks!!! I primarily dive doubles but occasionally have to dive singles and I highly recommend buying a backplate and wing system that has the capability of doing both. You will save money in the long run if you buy the right equipment the first time.
:wink:

guitar_lord:
Would that be considered "Better" then the jacket style of BCD?
Ive been looking at the Mares Dragon BCD - Im new so I dont know what I need

First post in a long time (forgot my old id/password and it was tied to an expired email account).

Here are my two cents on backplate/wing versus "normal" bcd.

A normal BCD will give a new user a feeling of greater security if they are bobbing on the surface after a boat dive. You can inflate the thing so that it holds you completely upright and gives you a comfortable "hug".

A BP/W on the other hand will push you onto your face if you are in an upright position on the surface and decide to inflate the thing to the max. On the other hand, if you deflate and lean back and re-inflate, its a lot like laying on a raft in the pool.

The real advantage of a BP/W is found underwater. All your bouyancy is in a single plane - on your back, instead of some air being on your side. Thus you tend to stay in a more horizontal position relative to a "normal" BCD. Another great advantage is the fact that you take weight off your hips. Instead you have most of your weight (if using a steel backplate) distributed evenly along your back. This enhances your stability underwater.

If you want to feel comfortable wearing something to control buoyancy while standing in the local dive shop or sitting on the surface, the BCD is the way to go. If you want increased comfort and control underwater, I would go with a BP/W.

I've known a lot of divers who have gone from a BCD to a BP/W, but not too many who have gone the other way.

guitar_lord:
My dive instructor has both - and she advised me that she uses both for different applications
The only "different application" I know of that people use a second BC for is instructing in the pool, when they'd prefer not to bleach their good gear with chlorine, and want to use the same gear as the students. I'd wager the applications she had in mind were "diving" and "teaching". I could be wrong, in which case I'd love to hear what tasks she prefers a jacket for, but in any case you might consider that you may not need a BC for some of the applications an instructor does.

Whatever you decide though, enjoy the new gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom