Not a diver but have some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool, thanks for the info. I live in middle Tn, not really around anything. I was thinking about checking into getting certified over the summer but sounds like the cheapest way to do it would be through school. Well hey I really appreciate it, not much I can really do now though. Thanks a ton, see you guys later.

-michael

I also learned at a uinversity class. Luckily, as we sat right on the Pacific coast, access wasn't really a problem. I agree that universities classes are the way to go. There is the convenience, university's normally have great facilities (pools, showers for cleaning gear, and so on), most people are fit, you are with a cohort your own age (lots to be said for a diverse age group, though), and students are used to the structure of a class. The folks I learned with at school turned out to be lifelong friends, I am still diving with some of them 25 years later. One other thing, if you don't do it now, chances are you won't do it later.

I don't know what the diving is like in TN, but if memory serves, there is a dive park in northern Alabama and the springs of NW Florida (like diving in a glass of gin, it is so clear) and Panama city beach/orange beach/pensacola is a days drive (think road trip)

Cool, thanks for the info. I live in middle Tn, not really around anything. I was thinking about checking into getting certified over the summer but sounds like the cheapest way to do it would be through school. Well hey I really appreciate it, not much I can really do now though. Thanks a ton, see you guys later.

-michael

In Middle TN you are only about 8 hours from the Gulf Coast. Easy drive for a weekend trip. Pensacola has the Oriskany and over 100 other sites to choose from, affordable lodging, beautiful beaches and good food. Work on your certification over the winter term and you'll be ready in time for spring break. See you then.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

You're not that far from the Gulf, and a little further is Florida's east coast, with some great diving. I'm in Atlanta, and while I prefer the Florida coast and Keys, when I don't have the time, I've run up to Loch Low-Minn quarry, which can't be that far from you (takes me two hours from Atlanta, and it's no big deal). Great place to blow bubbles, and get wet (lots to see, that they've sunk in the quarry as well, from navigation courses to boats, trucks, etc.)

Loch Low-Minn Dive Resort: Home Page

Initially, it can run into a little money to put your kit together (I prefer owning to renting for multiple reasons -- for a later discussion). I'd recommend trying a few different masks, since they tend to be the toughest to initially fit, before you buy (different shaped faces make for different fits). Same with the fins -- try both paddle and split fins to determine which you like better (you'll find a few heated arguments on here as to preference). And, you'll find yourself changing, upgrading, accessorizing... can't be helped (but it's part of the fun). You'll find ways to get wet once you've been certified... that can't be helped either... (also part of the fun).

As for enjoyable... that also can't be helped... I've yet to try any sport/leisure activity/distraction/thrill that has absolutely captured me the way diving has...

Hi Michael,

I think you get the idea. If you go to a Website where divers congregate and ask about diving, don't expect anyone to say: "It's ok, I guess."

I'm sure the university offers great training. Ask the Instructor there for an orientation to see if it's for you. If you like it, enough said. For most divers, it's love at first sight. It was for me (44 years ago) and I've been making my living in the industry for 38 years.

Try it, you'll like it. :)

Hey, I'm back. So I was talking to my friend and the scuba instructor at my school has decided to focus on his business and family. So he isn't going to be teaching the class anymore. Is there a way that I can find a good instructor/place to get certified around TN?

-thanks

Hey micheal. .

I dont care how much it cost me to dive. . Just aslong as i can dive, blow bubbles underwater and have fun while diving. . Diving go far more then just getting wet, one of my fav parts of diving is after the dive drinking a cold beer and sharing the diving experience we had on the dive or other dives before with the dive buddies. .

Diving only cost as much as you are willing to put in. . If you buy decsant gear and look after it like chris said then it can last a long time. .

If you get hooked on diving then you will see that every penny you spent on diving is really worth it and if you are really hooked then you will spend most money on your diving and will not regret it. .

Hope you get soon in the water and when you start diving enjoy it and dive safe. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Hey, I'm back. So I was talking to my friend and the scuba instructor at my school has decided to focus on his business and family. So he isn't going to be teaching the class anymore. Is there a way that I can find a good instructor/place to get certified around TN?

-thanks

At padi.com you can search for your closest PADI dive center (search box, upper right). Call them, talk to them. Some might also offer PADI eLearning, meaning you can do the knowledge development section of the course at home, and cut down on traveling expences.

So... Just for an update, I went to the padi website and found a place in Murfreesboro, TN to get certified. They told me that as soon as they had a weekend only class they would give me a call. So im not sure if I should go ahead and buy fins, a snorkle, and mask; or should I wait? I know that I am going to get certified, its just a matter of when; yet if I wait I can buy my equiptment from the scuba place at a discount. (they give those to current students of their program)

-thanks
Michael

O yeah and what brand of equiptment would be the best to go with. I'm 6' and about 150 if that helps at all.

Cool! :) Bet you're aching to get started. :wink:

Perhaps you should take a trip to Murfreesboro and check out the dive shop? While you're there, pick up the course manual.

I think it's safe to put equipment on hold until after the course. By then, you'll have learned a lot, and possibly have an opinion on what you want and why. There are many good brands to choose from, and many models of everything. That's many^2 BCDs, regulators, suits, etc. You can get tons of good advice here at the forums, but which one is the "best", is very often a matter of personal preference. :wink: Your instructor will also be happy to help. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom