Not a diver but have some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmlammel21

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, really would like to try it on for size but dont know much about the sport. The university I attend offers a scuba certification course, just thought that I might try to get some one on one feed back on how accessible, expensive, enjoyable, ect... the sport is.

Thanks

-michael

Hey, really would like to try it on for size but dont know much about the sport. The university I attend offers a scuba certification course, just thought that I might try to get some one on one feed back on how accessible, expensive, enjoyable, ect... the sport is.

Thanks

-michael

It is, in fact, the most enjoyable sport. :wink:

Accessibility will of course to some degree depend on where you live, but it is in most cases a lot more accessible than curling and sllightly less accessible than jogging. People dive in lakes, rivers, quarries and, of course, the ocean.

As for the expenses, it's more or less comparable to a pair of downhill skis with all it's accessories, or a modern bike (in Norway, around 10k to as much as you want to throw at it). The equipment will last you maaaany years, as long as you take care of it.

Diving lets you experience nature in a new way, explore sunken ships, hunt, take your photo/video skills to a new level... lots of possibilities! Also, divers are very social people, and you'll make many new friends. :)

I have to agree with Chris on this one! Diving is the most amazing sport!!! I had to get certified for a job quite a few years back. I never realized how much it would change my life! Moving to the Florida Keys I am now blessed with working at a dive shop meeting people all around the world that shares my same passions!
Diving opens the doors to seeing bodies of water and all it's creatures in a whole new light, and the learning never ends!
Gear can get expensive depending on the type that you choose. But it's an investment that is worth it, especially when you take care of it!
If you are reluctant to just jump in and get your certification some dive shops offer what is called a resort course or discover SCUBA diving course! You will spend a little time in the pool do acouple open water dives to see if you like it! Then should you want to actually obtain your Cert. you can actually apply some of that pool time to your openwater. I would speak to the instructor at your university, see if that is an option. Good Luck!!! I don't think you will be disappointed!!!

Thanks, seems like something I definitely wanna pursue. Love the beach and the water. Ok, I live in Tennessee and I'm not too keen on getting in lakes. So if I were to get certified here would it be a problem to make little weekend trips to a beach somewhere to dive some? An is it very expensive to rent all of the dive equipment that would be needed?

I really appreciate it

-michael

Greetings

Scuba is simply amazing. Most of this planet is covered with water and we usually don't see what's down there. Once you see first-hand, you'll be hooked forever!

Like you, I am land-locked. My girlfriend and I made 1 or 2 trips a year to Florida or Mexico for a week of scuba. It wasn't enough.

Now we are diving in the local lakes for fun and practice. All of our vacations revolve around scuba trips.

Renting gear is not all that expensive if you dive infrequently. A half-day out on a dive boat with two dives is about $130. Gear rental is probably another $25 per day. (I'll bet the vast majority of recreational divers only do 2 dives a day because it can be tiring.) If you go somewhere like Bonaire and dive from the shore, it's even cheaper!

If you find yourself diving a lot, you'll be hooked and you'll find a way to buy the gear that you need! :D

JUST DO IT!

Well just like Doc said, once you experience it thats the end of it, you will be def. be hooked for life. You can rent all the equipment from the dive boat (must check with the dive club), however I must strongly advice buying your own mask, and fins. Reason being, everyone has a unique face and you may not be able to find the perfect mask that fits your face. If the mask does not fit then the water will leak in and will not enjoy your dive. Secondly if you dont have a good fin, the dive club you are diving with may not give the best quality fins and you may get tired with the fins they provide, which might also lead to a shorter and tiring dive. Once you start getting into diving I would def. suggest buying your own equipment. Since you live in TN, I would suggest NC, SC or FL. I dove in North Carolina, Florida and South Carolina. Great wrecks out there. I would def. suggest making a dive trip out there.

Enjoy :)

Thanks, seems like something I definitely wanna pursue. Love the beach and the water. Ok, I live in Tennessee and I'm not too keen on getting in lakes. So if I were to get certified here would it be a problem to make little weekend trips to a beach somewhere to dive some? An is it very expensive to rent all of the dive equipment that would be needed?

I really appreciate it

-michael

Hi Michael, Welcome. I'm in Western Kentucky. What part of TN are you in? The local diving scene isn't as bad as on might think (cold, dark, murky, 0 Visibility). Well,...... OK right now it is kind of chilly. I typically dive a quarry nearby & I have seen days where there has been visibility of 40- 50 ft easy. I have only dove a couple of small lakes & did not see much. I would love to dive a man made lake where communities have been flooded, just to see what is still there. The cost of rental gear really depends on where you rent it from. You should be able to finds some new, decent quality, yet very basic equipment for about $1000. You may even find some decent used equipment for a bit less (make sure to get it serviced & looked at before you use it). The most important thing is fit. Depending on where you are in TN, for salt water, there is the gulf &/ or the Atlantic within 1- 2 days drive.

So if I were to get certified here would it be a problem to make little weekend trips to a beach somewhere to dive some? An is it very expensive to rent all of the dive equipment that would be needed?

I really appreciate it

-michael

My numbers are rough estimates and your mileage may vary. That much said:

A basic scuba certification is going to cost you the better part of $300 plus the cost of the 4 required OW dives.

You will ultimately find that if you dive fairly regularly, purchasing your own gear makes more sense than renting, especially for local diving since you aren't going to be concerned with packing it on an airplane.

A good set of used gear can be had for around $1000, and some of that you will have to purchase anyway, your "personal gear" which includes mask, fins, and snorkel. I compare used gear to rentals because the stuff you rent isn't close to new.

Some rough numbers

Mask/fins/snorkel $150
BCD $200
Wet suit $150
Booties and gloves $40
Single AL80 $100
Weights $20
Dive light $30
Regulator $100
Gauges $200

If you had to rent the gear (other than mask, fins, snorkel), it's going to cost you at least $40 for the day, so somewhere around 20 dives is the break even.

Once you have a basic gear configuration, filling a tank for a local dive will cost you about $5 each time. The only other expenses will be gas to get to your local dive site and any entrance fees. A yearly visual is required which is around $20 or so, and a "hydro" (more detailed tank test) is necessary about every 5 yrs and is a few bucks more. Regulators should be serviced annually, cost is about $50-70.

My numbers are rough estimates and your mileage may vary. That much said:

A basic scuba certification is going to cost you the better part of $300 plus the cost of the 4 required OW dives.

You will ultimately find that if you dive fairly regularly, purchasing your own gear makes more sense than renting, especially for local diving since you aren't going to be concerned with packing it on an airplane.

A good set of used gear can be had for around $1000, and some of that you will have to purchase anyway, your "personal gear" which includes mask, fins, and snorkel. I compare used gear to rentals because the stuff you rent isn't close to new.

Some rough numbers

Mask/fins/snorkel $150
BCD $200
Wet suit $150
Booties and gloves $40
Single AL80 $100
Weights $20
Dive light $30
Regulator $100
Gauges $200

If you had to rent the gear (other than mask, fins, snorkel), it's going to cost you at least $40 for the day, so somewhere around 20 dives is the break even.

Once you have a basic gear configuration, filling a tank for a local dive will cost you about $5 each time. The only other expenses will be gas to get to your local dive site and any entrance fees. A yearly visual is required which is around $20 or so, and a "hydro" (more detailed tank test) is necessary about every 5 yrs and is a few bucks more. Regulators should be serviced annually, cost is about $50-70.

I'd also suggest not skimping on gear when you first invest: get the best kit you can afford at the time rather than planning to trade up repeatedly. After all, its purpose is to keep you alive, so it's a little bit different from equipment in golf, tennis, etc. For reference, the numbers mentioned by Steve above are totally reasonable, but some (e.g. BCD, regulator) are at the low end. I'd suggest making the biggest investment in the most critical equipment.

To echo all the previous thoughts, scuba is an amazing sport, and it may well change your life. At the very least, it will give you some of the most intense memories of your life.

Cool, thanks for the info. I live in middle Tn, not really around anything. I was thinking about checking into getting certified over the summer but sounds like the cheapest way to do it would be through school. Well hey I really appreciate it, not much I can really do now though. Thanks a ton, see you guys later.

-michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom