Not part of Greater China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did PM Netdoc on below - but await some feedback.

As per recent comment in "last one out turn out the light" thread in Greater China forum -

I appreciate it may seem a 'political' or minor issue if you live elsewhere, but we currently have "Taiwan" thrown into "Greater China" forum location - whereas politically, and fiercely defended by all Taiwanese, Taiwan is not actually part of Greater China . It's an item even the politicians can't sort out, but as happens in the next few weeks Taiwan will celebrate its birthday, being 100 years since it broke away, forming political independence as a country.

Considering above, would it be possible to form a "Taiwan only" forum within the "General Asia" or independently in the "Asia" section of forum, and shift all Taiwan posts/threads into it ? Politically it would be correct and in addition Taiwan has good diving worth talking about, whereas mainland China has very little diving worth talking or reading about ~ as I know as I have also lived over in China.

If you browse through the posts in "Greater China" you'll find majority are dedicated to Taiwan and you'll find in the last few years majority of input is from Ambertiger, Makhno and in the last year from myself, and for sure we would all like to see "Taiwan" as 'independent" on the Scubaboard forum from 'Greater China', as it is an independent island.

NB: I'll chuck another $ in the Legal defence fund if you can arrange as above, and for sure will try and encourage some of my Taiwan dive buddies to start to contribute.

Regards

I'd support this as Taiwan is not greater China but is its own independent democracy. Red China may have other ideas. But Taiwan deserves its own forum. It should be recognized as such.

Did UN recognize Taiwan as a country?

I believe that placement in Greater China is appropriate from geopolitical perspective.

It doesn't matter if the UN recognizes anything. They are nothing but a haven for third world dictators. It should be up to the people that live in a region as to how they are known. Not dictated by the UN. And just what is the geopolitical perspective supposed to do for the Taiwanese. Except lump them in with a repressive regime that kills children, suppresses free speech, and dictates the thoughts and expression of those thoughts by its people. If the Chinese miltary were not so large and powerful I think we'd see exactly what the people think of their leaders when they string them up. Give Taiwan it's own forum if they want it.

My company works with a law firm in Taiwan that touts its ability to do work in "Greater China," meaning that they do work in both Taiwan Republic of China and the People's Republic of China. Dealing with that law firm was the first time I encountered the term. I figured that if a Taiwanese law firm was comfortable with the term, then it must be pretty well accepted as a politically neutral way to refer to both Taiwan and the PRC.

Did PM Netdoc on below - but await some feedback.

As per recent comment in "last one out turn out the light" thread in Greater China forum -

I know that NetDoc was looking into the matter, but was away recently attending DEMA. I'm sure he'll be along soon with a response.

Just call it "Cathay" and then everyone should be happy.

'China' has more exceptions than rules. Hong Kong, Macau, Kashmir, Tibet, Taiwan? You tell me what is in and out. Vagueness has worked for diplomats successfully for years.

Jim, Taiwan is not recognized as complete independent by US either. And vast majority of countries around the globe.

By your arguments Texas could get its own forum outside of US?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom