Not sure about trusting my buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd make sure you're in possession of the car keys when you go diving with him.

It sounds like you're very serious and upset about this and you're right to be. You may just have to lay down the law and say, "If you don't follow proper buddy procedures, I will not dive with you." It sucks when it's a significant other that's involved but a domestic spat is easier and safer to overcome than a diving accident.

I dive with a few close friends, and one of them is the same way. He swims off, doesn't know where his buddy is, etc. I almost always make sure I don't get paired up with him, and don't like diving with him in general. It's tough because we are close friends and spend a lot of time hanging out, golfing, skiing etc. But diving is not a sport where the limits are meant to be pushed, and I don't find carelessness funny (like I may in skiing/snowboarding at times).

Tell him that unless he takes his buddy skills more seriously you won't dive with him as your buddy anymore. Then find a guy on the boat who is willing to buddy up with you. Pay close attention to your new buddy and tell your boyfriend what a great buddy you found and how enjoyable it is diving with the new guy. If he doesn't get the hint you may want to make the new guy your "buddy" outside of diving as well. :wink:

Recently we went and did a dive in the Bahamas. He was running very short on air (I still had 1400-1500), so we signaled to the DM we were heading back. I indicated we would still do a safety stop. He was not happy, but finally settled down until our minutes were up. By the time we surfaced, he was down to less than 100#. He started to take off without me, ran out of air on the surface, and was only about 1/2 way to the boat. I kept swimming as fast as I could to get up to him, but he wouldn't stop. He basically did a back float to the boat. I still had tons of air for the two of us left.

Once I got on board and caught my breath I tore into him (just us were on there other than the capt). And he still couldn't figure out why I was upset. I had PLENTY of air for the two of us to have a normal safety stop as well as a leisurely swim back to the boat. But he doesn't listen to me.

A few observations (most you probably already know):

Gas Planning
He needs to be able to end the dive, and be back on the boat, with some gas reserve. Some will say 500psi and others will say 750psi or more. That is on the boat. So from the time the dive is turned, you need to have that much air plus enough to: a) ascend; b) do a safety stop; c) surface; d) swim to the step; and e) board the boat.

Gas management is one of the most important resposinsibilities every diver has. He needs to take responsibility for his gas management. He turned the dive way too late. (The "extra" air in your tank should be viewed as for emergency use only and not as a way to extend the dive of an air hog)

One place to start might be the rule of thirds (so, on a 3000 psi fill, you turn back at 2000 psi with a goal of ending the dive at 1000 psi).

Safety Stops
These are a good thing to try and do every dive. Besides off gassing, they can help divers with the surfacing process by providing a pause during the ascent to re-establish neutral bouyancy. That said, depending on the dive, I would do only a 30 second stop if the other diver is that low on air. (Or donate my octo for the entire stop, depending on circumstances including the divers and dive profiles)

Why? Because OOA is a very bad thing. Divers can bolt for the surface and get AGE (or expansion injuries). And the bends is much more treatable than drowning. Safety stops provide an extra margin of safety (especially valuable for folks who tend to ascend too quickly or push the tables or are doing mutiple dives or...)

Surface Swim
In most circumstances, he did mostly the right thing. If your tank is dry, you should not resubmerge -- even if your buddy has some extra air. Doing the backfloat can also be an effective and comfortable way to swim on the surface. Should he have waited for you (and made the swim leisurely)? In most all cases, yes.

Lamont has a good post on rules of air management
And one of the, easy for me to remember, rules of thumb that I use from it is ..
Depth, plus a 0 plus 300 (for an AL80, or HP100 tank) equals the pressure in your tank at time of ascent ... IE .. 60 feet + a 0 = 600 + 300 = 900psi in tank at ascent
I can remember that , and it works for easy, open water dives
One other thing from that post, if newer diver, do not dive deeper than your tank CF ... IE AL80, about 80 feet

It's called Rock Bottom, referring to the amount you should consider the rock bottom amount to begin your ascent ... http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html

If your buddy isn't there on a regular basis and you aren't the one leaving him behind, then you have a rotten buddy. End of story. The idea of buddy diving is that if you have some sort of emergency that you have someone very close to you that you can turn to to help you out. If your buddy's not there when you need him then you would be better off diving solo, because when you dive solo you carry redundant air and you limit your risks accordingly.

It sounds like you're very serious and upset about this and you're right to be. You may just have to lay down the law and say, "If you don't follow proper buddy procedures, I will not dive with you." It sucks when it's a significant other that's involved but a domestic spat is easier and safer to overcome than a diving accident.

Tell him that unless he takes his buddy skills more seriously you won't dive with him as your buddy anymore.

Wisdom.

OP, you have to assess your BF's listening skills. On the one hand, his dive skills are likely to improve in time, and the tendency for his enthusiasm to overcome his discipline should lessen with more dives. On the other hand, he's also building his dive habits now, and he (and perhaps you) might just get used to things occurring this way and this process will simply become "the way it's always been."

So, the first question is, does he listen to you about other concerns in life and/or your relationship? Leaving the seat up, calling if he's going to be home late, not talking that way in front of your parents, blah blah blah. If he's not an empathetic listener and someone that either addresses your concerns or takes actions to change his behavior/situations on dry land, then it's not realistic to think he's going to be any different about diving.

If you've had a similar concern about some other aspect of life, and talked to him about it, and he changed what was necessary, then remind him of that and ask him what he needs from you in order to make the changes you need in order to be a good buddy.

If your assessment is that he's not a good listener, or he just doesn't take you seriously, or he's simply incapable of retaining a disciplined mindset underwater, then you need a new buddy. Maybe you need a new BF, too, but I'm not going there based on the info here.

There are a few things you could do to try to shock him into "getting it". The next time he leaves you on a dive, abort the dive and come back to the boat on your own. See how long it takes him to figure out he's alone. This is somewhat dangerous for you both, though. A better option is to "hide" directly above him and watch to see how long it takes him to figure out he doesn't have any idea where you are. In order to pull this off, you have to be able to keep up with him, though.

Take a slate with you and note the time each time he gets too far away from you and the time when you catch up to him again. Back on the boat, show him the % of total dive time where you considered yourself diving solo. Remember that safe buddy distance means BOTH divers are capable of noticing a problem with themselves or their buddy and reaching their buddy. Even if he thinks "I could get to you quickly", if you don't feel like you could get to him quickly, then it's not a safe buddy distance. I mention writing down the times because men generally respond better to objective, factual information than to personal assessments.

On boat dives, you could ask to follow the dive guide because you want him/her to show you and your BF the cool critters, etc. Watch what happens and discuss it with him afterwards, using the dive guide's speed, psi checks, communication, etc as a point of reference.

I say all this assuming that when you've talked to him about what you don't like about his diving behavior, you've given him specific, objective points of criticism and not just screamed at him that clearly he doesn't love you enough and is still hung up on his ex. Shrug. Your post is very clear, specific and reasonable, so if you're talking to him like you're typing to us, I think you've done what you can. He either needs to get it together or you need to find someone else to dive with.

Last option - we can do a he says/she says on scubaboard! LOL. You post your side, he posts his side, put up a poll. Everyone on scubaboard can tell both of you what you need to do differently! Kidding, kidding, this sounds like a relationship disaster waiting to happen.

If you're concerned about your safety, expressed this concern and he still hasn't changed his ways, always dive with a third diver that you do trust. If he's not listening to your concerns you need to take care of yourself.

Everyone used to tell me that air consumption will improve and such with experience. However, I dove with a new buddy that really helped me out. I followed him and he was soooo slow and methodical. Next thing ya know I was doing my longest dive ever. So get someone to slow him down a LOT and watch his consumption improve in relation to how much slower he takes the dives.

Safety stops are another one of your concerns. They key here is to make sure you make it about your concern. If you talk about stops and how not doing them is simply wrong, it puts him on the defensive. If you make it clear you just feel more comfy doing them and he doesn't care, then get a new dive buddy and probably a new bf.

Lastly, it may not hurt to get enrolled in another class. Perhaps Peak Performance Buoyancy, just so he can do more diving with someone he can't really argue with....an instructor.

<snipped>
My concern in the back of my mind is he really is just a loose cannon down there, and I am not really sure how good of a safety buddy I have with him :(

Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I just nervous because I am new?
help?

Red, I feel your pain! Been there, am occasionally still there.

First, ignore the airstuff except that it is good info - that is not your problem.

I finally had to tell my husband I was not going to dive with him anymore. Period. Your dive buddy is carrying your bailout gas. Your buddy is using your gas.

You are in danger. If you have one of those once in a lifetime happenings where you blow a low pressure hose or something, Mr Gone cannot help you.

So, lay down the law. Don't buddy with him. Lastly, find an SDI instructor and see if s/he will let you take the Solo Diver training. You don't have enough dives to get certified, but the training is excellent. Also, get a pony - I like my 30 cu ft.

The bottom line is that you are basically diving solo anyway, and you must be responsible for your own safety. Don't make yourself responsible for your buddy, because he could kill you both.

Lastly, it may not hurt to get enrolled in another class. Perhaps Peak Performance Buoyancy, just so he can do more diving with someone he can't really argue with....an instructor.

Peak Performance Buoyancy can also help with air consumption - some divers compensate for poor weighting by swimming a lot (it's easier to overcome poor weighting when you also don't have to hover). And if poorly (overly) weighted, one wlll often use more air than needed by fiddling with the up/down elevator button (aka the inflator). Something to think about - that as a newbie diver, your BF may need to work on his buoyancy (his gas hogging and safety stop reluctance may be symptoms). Couple that with his not wanting to admit (maybe) that he's not as good a diver as you at this stage, and you get someone trying to gloss over shortcomings and blow them off. Pride cometh before the fall, or a ride in a deco chamber. All said, it's still important you address the communication between yourselves - I agree in laying down the law, but it may also be that he just can't as much as he might want to because his skills need to be developed.

Best wishes to ya...

My boyfriend is a much more experienced diver than me. His buoyancy is amazing. He dived frequently in his twenties working in the Mediterranean, then stopped when he began working in the Arctic. When we met, his certificate was long lost. He recertified so he could dive with me. He remembered the skills, but he was a shocking buddy. He was so exciteable under water, he'd zip here, there, everywhere. He'd show me something cool to photograph, I'd stop to take a shot, and find him gone. He'd find loads of cool stuff too, but I'd spend half the dive looking for him, and felt that he was much too far away to be a useful buddy. I talked to him about it, and he said he'd try, but next dive- oooops, he's 20 metres away over there.... now where's he got to? So I took his hand. It sounds kind of slushy, but it worked. And he slowed down and swam next to me, holding hands. At the end of the dive I gushed about what a nice dive it was, and how good it was to always know where he was. I think he finally got the message about what, for me, a good buddy distance is. He needed to be shown. Now he hovers nearby whilst I take the photo, and waits for me. Sometimes I even let him use my camera too- it must be love! :D He has improved a thousand fold as a buddy, and his air consumption has got so much better now he's slowed down. Hope your guy can improve too.

Back
Top Bottom