Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't the transpac wing the one that has wing tips that float up higher on the tank than the dump valve ( when diver is flat horizontal and swimming along underwater) ? I am pretty sure that this is the wing--what it means is that the wing tips will hold air, so a diver in ideal trim will never be able to dump all the air from the wing--meaning sometimes you would actually have to go vertical and use the shoulder dump to get rid of the air from the wingtips....

Most problems today were related to the difficulty of reading the D4i information. . . . On dry land I use reading glasses, and the smaller digits were a bit of a problem. . . . If you like myself wear reading glasses and from personal experience know computers with brighter displays that would help me, let me know.
I wear reading glasses, and have some personal experience with different dive computer displays. From experience, I know that I could not possibly read the display on a D4 underwater (or a D6 or a D9, for that matter). I use a Suunto HeLO2, before that a Suunto Vytec, simply because of the bigger display. They are more readable. Of course, these computers also have a much bigger physical profile, which may not appeal to some, but does not bother me (I have no interest in wearing a $500 dive computer as a wristwatch, irrespective of how cross-functional it is, or how cool it looks). But, even with that bigger display, I have noticed over the past year that my ability to read the HeLO2 screen in anything other than bright ambient light is becoming compromised (not surprisingly, that is happening in parallel with an increase in the strength of the reading glasses I buy at Wal-Mart). I suspect you can probably read your D4 in bright light, but not in darker conditions.

My personal preference for a readable dive computer display is my Liquivision X1, with an OLED display. I can read it in all light conditions (except on the surface in bright sunlight). I can read it at a distance, at night, etc., even though the actual screen is rather small. That is the beauty of an OLED display. But, the X1 is NOT a computer you want / need at this point - it is an expensive, multigas, technical dive computer. Rather, the point is, an OLED display is probably going to be better for you, something like the Liquivision Kaon, for example. Problem is, most of these types of units are not air-integrated (I presume you bought a D4 for that feature, among other things).

I suspect that, having just spent quite a bit of money on a D4, you may not want to spend even more on something like a Kaon. But, keep the idea of OLED in mind for the future.

My personal preference for a readable dive computer display is my Liquivision X1, with an OLED display. I can read it in all light conditions (except on the surface in bright sunlight). I can read it at a distance, at night, etc., even though the actual screen is rather small. That is the beauty of an OLED display. But, the X1 is NOT a computer you want / need at this point - it is an expensive, multigas, technical dive computer. Rather, the point is, an OLED display is probably going to be better for you, something like the Liquivision Kaon, for example. Problem is, most of these types of units are not air-integrated (I presume you bought a D4 for that feature, among other things).
Not really, air integration was a bonus because the transmitter was offered for free.
I checked the Liquivision models discussions on Internet, and learned about the "wake-up" issue. Isn't it a concern? Does anyone else offer OLED displays?

As a poor pensioner with weak eyesight I use a Mares Nemo Wide. Huge display, 3 Nitrox mixes (up to 100% O2) backlight and user replacable cheap battery.

Isn't the transpac wing the one that has wing tips that float up higher on the tank than the dump valve ( when diver is flat horizontal and swimming along underwater) ? I am pretty sure that this is the wing--what it means is that the wing tips will hold air, so a diver in ideal trim will never be able to dump all the air from the wing--meaning sometimes you would actually have to go vertical and use the shoulder dump to get rid of the air from the wingtips....

The transpac uses the same wing(s) as any Dive Rite hard plate.

---------- Post Merged at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:14 AM ----------

You understand its not a BPW right? heh, tis ok you did the right thing. :D

It's a SBPW (soft backplate & wing).

After 27 days in Chuuk Lagoon & Palau with a grand total of 53 dives in both conventional BP/W single tank & technical doubles set-up, as well as UTD Z-system Sidemount single & doubles --my advice to you as a novice diver is to get a nice, simple & comfortable recreational back inflation BCD, especially one that will allow full flexibility to tilt your head up -as well as extend your spine- in order to look at the scenery above you without banging your head against your first stage while finning in the horizontal prone position . . .

Unfortunately, a conventional Halcyon Backplate & Wing with a Single Tank Adapter is too rigid and places the tank (AL80 in this instance -the most common tank used in all overseas resort dive-ops) too high on your back so that you will be continually hitting the back of your head on the 1st stage behind you --as you strain to look up at that Manta Ray passing inches above you.

Do not believe the hype about BP/W being the best all-around solution for both recreational and technical diving. Simply use the best tool that gives you the best utility & comfort for the kind of diving that you're interested in.

After 27 days in Chuuk Lagoon & Palau with a grand total of 53 dives in both conventional BP/W single tank & technical doubles set-up, as well as UTD Z-system Sidemount single & doubles --my advice to you as a novice diver is to get a nice, simple & comfortable recreational back inflation BCD, especially one that will allow full flexibility to tilt your head up -as well as extend your spine- in order to look at the scenery above you without banging your head against your first stage while finning in the horizontal prone position . . .

Unfortunately, a conventional Halcyon Backplate & Wing with a Single Tank Adapter is too rigid and places the tank (AL80 in this instance -the most common tank used in all overseas resort dive-ops) too high on your back so that you will be continually hitting the back of your head on the 1st stage behind you --as you strain to look up at that Manta Ray passing inches above you.

Do not believe the hype about BP/W being the best all-around solution for both recreational and technical diving. Simply use the best tool that gives you the best utility & comfort for the kind of diving that you're interested in.

Kev, what this proves, is that you did not have anyone with you that actually "knows" how to customize the bp/wing, to the diver. This has been posted by all authorities on the Halcyon, that the optimal fit is by GUE instructor, or a Halcyon Rep with the skill...and that a normal BCD user will not be likely to guess their way into a correct fitting..Not with 5 dives, 50, or many more.

If what you are saying was true, how is it that the cave and tech communities using these Halcyon bp/wings would put up with having a reg banging into their head all the time.....and remember, they dive flat horizontal, and the GUE position in this is that the head is looking ahead the whole time, if not even upwards often--meaning there must be something they are doing different than you, or all would be having the 1st stage PREVENT them from looking straight ahead or upwards as they swim.

As a poor pensioner with weak eyesight I use a Mares Nemo Wide. Huge display, 3 Nitrox mixes (up to 100% O2) backlight and user replacable cheap battery.
Thanks a lot for the idea. I am a poor pensioner myself :blinking:
PC interface is optional, right?
Does it work with Macintosh's OSX?

Kev, what this proves, is that you did not have anyone with you that actually "knows" how to customize the bp/wing, to the diver. This has been posted by all authorities on the Halcyon, that the optimal fit is by GUE instructor, or a Halcyon Rep with the skill...and that a normal BCD user will not be likely to guess their way into a correct fitting..Not with 5 dives, 50, or many more.

If what you are saying was true, how is it that the cave and tech communities using these Halcyon bp/wings would put up with having a reg banging into their head all the time.....and remember, they dive flat horizontal, and the GUE position in this is that the head is looking ahead the whole time, if not even upwards often--meaning there must be something they are doing different than you, or all would be having the 1st stage PREVENT them from looking straight ahead or upwards as they swim.
And how ridiculously PRESUMPTIVE YOU ARE FROM WELL OVER TEN THOUSAND MILES AND HALF-A-WORLD AWAY--to actually believe what you think my reality has been over the past month Oct here in Micronesia, as well as my 'head banging' diving experience with BP/W for nearly the past ten years! C'mon Dan, that just shows how annoyingly arrogant you & the DIR rank & file really can be!

I was originally fitted by John Walker back in 2003 for BP and the old & fragile Pioneer Wing --way back when GUE Fundamentals was just a weekend seminar and NOT the convoluted & political mess that rank & file "DIR Practitioners" have made it to be today. But I will be giving your "recommendation" a chance Dan --I'm returning to Los Angeles only to vote in the Tues 06 Nov General Election, and time permitting stop by Hollywood Divers to get a "fit check" on my old Halcyon BP/W system with Instructors Karim Hamza & Steve Millington; then plan to head back out here to Micronesia/Oceania/SE Asia for the rest of the year (and probably another fit check with GUE Instructor Anders Kristensen in Puerto Galera Philippines).

But the truth is Dan, at least for my preference --UTD Z-system Sidemount is WAY MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE WATER THAN ANY BP/W SYSTEM!!!!

To the OP: definitely and of course try on and demo a BP/W system vs a regular BCD back inflation for the novice recreational diving and travel that you will be doing. Go with what gives you the best utility & comfort --and without endless "fit checks" over the years by GUE Instructors/Halcyon Dealers around the world.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom