novice location anywhere in the gulf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwiley

New
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are getting certified right now (I've been skindiving for years in several parts of the world however, while she has only done that once, two months ago). While we are planning to go to Honduras in December, we were hoping to take a short trip somewhere close to home for our first dive (other than the certification dives), sometime in October (that's the week of fall break). Clearly, we aren't looking for anything very deep. We like reefs though, and are somewhat intriqued by the idea of wrecks, but really we're just looking for something simple and fun. My research so far suggests that everything off of Texas is deeper than 70 feet. I really haven't gotten a clear indication of what the scene is like off Florida at all.

Bottom line, where would be a good place for us to go? We're traveling from New Mexico and trying to keep costs low, which pretty much rules out the keys, according to the airfares I've seen so far.

We are also amenable to California, been considering Catalina Island, but I get the impression the gulf might be warmer. Is that true in October?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Cheers!

I think your best bet for the Gulf in October would be Destin, Florida. Water will be much warmer than California and October is usually a good weather month.
Beach diving can be done under the Destin bridge but be sure to check the time of day that slack water ocurs because currents can be quite strong during rising or falling tides. Most shops can tell you the time it will ocur
There are several shops that run trips. Most dives are in the 60 to 80 foot range.

Captain

are a good dive here, with a maximum depth available of over 40' if you work at it, but common depths in the 30' range.

There are also several shops that run charters, most with profiles in the 70-80' range, and finally there are lots of divers here (myself included) who have private boats that go out anywhere from 50 - 120' on a somewhat-regular basis.

Hook up with those of your choice.....

Thanks for the info.

Catalina offers some very nice diving. Water temperature will probably be in the low 50s F. A 7mm wetsuit is appropriate.

Don't restrict yourself to Catalina if you do head to California. Go to San Diego and take a charter to the Coronados. Or go to Ventura or Santa Barbara and take a charter to the Channel Islands. Or head up to Monterey and Carmel...

To give you an idea on costs in Destin-Ft Walton Beach, hotels run from $50 on up (cheaper being in Ft Walton Beach) and 2 tank trips with air run about $75 (beach dives being free except for air).

Tom

If you're somewhere in NM, then you're not that far from me, and I haven't found any cheap Ocean diving possibilities yet.
(1) Air to Miami & Ft.Lauderdale is high, but Key Largo is a great place for a :newbie:
(2) I'm going to back Catalina soon, and I'm looking forward to it. Air to Los Angeles is cheap, but then there's the S.Shuttle, the Ferry, and expensive lodging, before you get into :cold: the water.
(3) Air to N.Carolina is down now, and I love those wreck dives, but that's Advanced! :grad:
(4) Probably your cheapest Ocean diving is Cozumel. :sombrero:
(5) Freshwater, there's Bottom Lakes at Roswell (as cold as Catalina!), Blue Hole and Perch Lake at Santa Rosa, and some dive the resevoirs.

Hey, we live in the desert. What else you gonna' do?

Have fun...

Gulf of Mexico is advanced diving and things can change in an hour. Flower Gardens offshore Texas are all 70'. Most instructors around here suggest 15-25 dives before even going out there on one of the liveaboards

Lots of the places we dive here (Florida Panhandle, GOM) are 100-130' with surface currents that can be RAGING. Oh, and we're usually spearfishing too :)

The only good news is that currents at depth are usually light to non-existant, but woe be to the person who misses the line for the ascent!

But, if you are determined enough, you can do it. Your cheapest approach at good diving for newbies would be Cozumel :sombrero:

(1) Book a cheap package for charter air from DFW that includes ground transfers and hotel;

(2) Plan on driving from ABQ to DFW in the wee hours of the night, and returning the same way - gotta' be tough here! I'm always tired after any trip.

(3) Your cheap package hotel will be in town, where you can quickly shop for for dive operators, or - post a thread stating where you'll be staying, and get suggestions here.

It'd be more reasonable to practice locally, and wait for Roatan in December - great diving, but I'd hate to wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom