O2 fill for Dan jumbo D in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that at AAA you pay for the hydro only. Once you take it to a shop, after hydro, you still need to pay for the VIP and fill. You might save a few bucks by getting the hydro done yourself, but you are the one hauling it back and forth.

So it turns out that I can't get the tank filled unless I have something that verifies that the tank was O2 cleaned after it was hydro-ed. The impression I got was basically that due to the risk in filling a tank with 100% O2 that they won't fill it unless it is O2 cleaned by their shop. At this point I'm wondering if I should just break down and have the tank cleaned by the shop since this won't have to be dealt with for another 5 years after this and by then I won't be the one responsible for it.

So I have a dan O2 kit that belongs to the scuba club at UT and I need to get it filled and hydro-ed. The problem is that the only dive shop in austin that I have found wants 50 bucks to hydro the tank and another 50 to oxygen clean it. The price of a brand spankin new jumbo D cylinder on the DAN website cost 115 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get the cylinder hydro-ed and possible cleaned and filled so that it won't cost me as much as buying an entire new cylinder?

You have a medical O2 system, not a SCUBA tank, never go near a dive shop with it.

As the tank belongs to UT, find out who is in charge of the UT compressed gas account and see if your clubs tank can be listed on the account. Talk with the UT Fire or security department or call Airgas and see if they will tell you who is in charge of the account. Also, see if you can get all of your dive tanks listed with the Fire Department and get the University rates.

Or, just go to Airgas and open an account for your club, have the account credited with the tank. When you need a tank you take the one you have to any Airgas storefront, trade it in, and get a filled one for the cost of the gas only. Check to see if you can get you

In either case this means that once you trade "your" tank in you will most likely never see it again, but you own a tank in the Airgas system.

The result is that you will never need to deal with a dive shop for that tanks hydro or fill again as Airgas does that as a normal part of their business.

On 100% medical O2 tanks, there have been cases of fire due to improper servicing. This tank is to be used in the event of a DCS, and should be considered as much life support as any other piece of equipment, and maybe more so. I would pay the few extra dollars to have it done correctly by someone who knows how to safely deal with medical grade O2 equipment. The life it saves may be yours. Just my humble opinion as a diver, dive instructor and critical care nurse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom