O2 fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A search didn't bring an answer. I feel more comfortable slinging a 19 cube of oxygen on some of my dives.

If I bring my own cylinder, is there somewhere I might get a fill on the island?

Possibly in Playa if needed?

Regards!
Cameron

I know 3P has taken cylinders (at least for a rebreather) up to Meriando and had them filled but I am not sure if you can walk in to Meriando off the street. Check with your OP, they should be able to help you.

I know 3P has taken cylinders (at least for a rebreather) up to Meriando and had them filled but I am not sure if you can walk in to Meriando off the street. Check with your OP, they should be able to help you.

Thanks for a possible lead! I'll be in touch.

Deep Exposure or the dive op you are using can rent you a 30cft bottle of 80% from Merdiano. I wouldn't fool with taking a tank. You can rent directly from Merdiano but unless you are fluent in Spanish and tell them at least a day ahead of time I think you will have problems. You will need your own rigging if you go the Merdiano route.

Don is a fantastic guy, thanks for pointing me his way. He isn't keen on the idea unless (naturally) it's for his boat but would accommodate if I am stuck for options. One of the best shops I've ever come across!

I'm doing exclusively shore diving this trip with my (new to me) ikelite d90 housing.

Cheers!
Cameron

Interested myself. Please keep us posted. Wondering too how you will deal with "O2 clean" removing valve for flight?

Deep Exposure or the dive op you are using can rent you a 30cft bottle of 80% from Merdiano. I wouldn't fool with taking a tank. You can rent directly from Merdiano but unless you are fluent in Spanish and tell them at least a day ahead of time I think you will have problems. You will need your own rigging if you go the Merdiano route.

My Spanish gets me in trouble. I'll contact my OP and see what they could do about renting and I'll bring my own rigging.

I suppose if I do show up with a cylinder at merdiano they may be convinced to fill it. Haven't heard of them before.

Interested myself. Please keep us posted. Wondering too how you will deal with "O2 clean" removing valve for flight?

I do ultraviolet photography and service my own cylinders back home so I'll take a peek when I land for contamination.

But never flew with an o2 cleaned before, not sure how this works at the fill station.

Looking forward to more guidance.

Perhaps I'll just rent, but prefer the cost reduction of just one fill instead of a month of renting.

I'm doing exclusively shore diving this trip
My first thought is "Why?" but more so: "Why do you want a oxygen tank for shallow shore diving?" I guess you know that you cannot dive in the park alone, nor can you dive around any piers or some other places, and diving from shore up north might get you swept away. Do you carry a PLB?

Wondering too how you will deal with "O2 clean" removing valve for flight?
Removing the valve, then allowing any TSA agent to inspect it. I'd be afraid to pump pure oxygen in that tank after that. The TSA rules actually say the tank has to be open, but I have always got away with covering the hole with 2" wide electric tape on my pony, both ends folded back for easy inspection and replacement. I wrote "Air only" in large letters on it when I first got it over a decade ago to avoid the risk of anyone partial pressure filling it.

Haven't heard of them before.
Meridiano? That's the main fill station on the island. See Llenado de tanques de buceo or Google Translate but I always let my dive Op handle my pony fills.

But never flew with an o2 cleaned before, not sure how this works at the fill station.
I don't think they would want to fill it unless they certified it O2 clean, but they might. If we read about an explosion there, we'll see if you are around. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom