Oceanic OC1 Wireless Air Integrated or Atomic Cobalt Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonP

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,
:confused:I can't seem to decide between the Oceanic OC1 Dual Algorithm Wireless Wristwatch Air Intergrated and the new Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Console. I don't currently have a computer/gauge since I've always rented equip when diving. It's now time to buy. I really love the idea of having a wireless wristwatch but not sure of reliability due to transmitter failure. Also not sure of OC1 functions. Heard LUNA was a great computer as well but felt a bit big on my wrist. Everyone seems to love the new Atomic Cobalt console. If it wasn't for the Atomic Cobalt I believe I would def go with a wireless air integrated wrist device. The price for the Luna, OC1 and Cobalt all seem to be all the same currently. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, Ron

I just had to face this same decision. To me it comes down to a preference of Console or Wrist. For recreational divers these are the sexiest computers on the market and if your anything like me the subtle style points are important. After much deliberation i've decided on the OC1. The Cobalt is great and looks beautiful but I really cant see myself without a wrist computer. Its really a personal decision I feel that they are both great. Good luck with your decision

One thing people seem to love about the Cobalt is how easy it is to navigate menus and change settings without referencing the manual, in stark contrast to some other dive computers.

Which begs the question; do you do much 'fiddling' with settings?

I use an Oceanic VT3; on a Bonaire trip, I pull out the manual (which I find fairly miserable to deal with) as I'm mainly a vacation diver and it's not practical to learn all the ins and outs and memorize them permanently, and eventually work out how to set it to Nitrox EAN 32%, and I can pull up the onscreen log and run through dives I've made to get max. depths and times. Other than that, I pretty much run it on 'auto.' for the week. So for me, buying a Cobalt as a nifty toy would probably not be a justified expense.

But if I did a lot of customized settings over the course of a week, I might think again.

Plans are for a wrist version of the Cobalt. Would it make sense for you to buy a cheaper, non-AI wrist unit like a Geo, put the extra money aside & wait for it?

Richard.

I questioned the Atomic people at the DEMA show last month as to when they were going to come out with a Cobalt wrist unit. Basically the answere was yes, some day. But they have not
even started the design work on it. So I am thinking maybe in a couple of years. I am completely
sold on using a hoseless air integrated dive computer. Have been using one for several years. Both primary and backup.

Yeah, you're most likely in for a long wait for a wrist model of the Cobalt. It took Atomic years to develop the console unit, and release to the public was delayed almost a year after it appeared on the Atomic website. Last spring, I assumed I would be diving with one over the summer in Belize. Wrong. Atomic finally released it last month.

It's not like AA would be starting from scratch, but, like croque said, my understanding is that they haven't even begun working on it. My guess is that the price would be higher than the console, which is a pretty spendy unit as it is.

I agree that it should come down to which style you prefer and how much you like to use the settings. I'm a huge Atomics fan and just so happen to prefer a console so it was a no-brainer for me to replace my Suunto Cobra2 with a Cobalt. I liked the Cobra, but the the learning curve was steep, the operation was not especially intuitive and the dark numbers on a gray background were not as easy to read as I had hoped. The Cobalt crushes the Cobra in all three areas.

My only issue with the Cobalt is that once my wife sees mine she's going to want one, too. So I'm trying to keep mine under wraps until her birthday.

I think reports of transmitter problems with wrist units are somewhat overblown, but I suppose that is an advantage of a console. Personally, I wouldn't make that the critical factor in choosing which style. There are plenty of wrist model fans out there who have never experienced a significant issue with transmitter failure.

Have fun making your decision!

I am also diving a VT3 and I have never had a problem with the computer and transmitter losing sync. I heard a lot about that when I was in the market but still liked the wrist mount over the console so I took a chance and I could not be happier with it. I have not gotten a chance to dive the OC1 but I can only imagine that its close to the VT3 with a few extra features and a smaller package.

........I can't seem to decide between the Oceanic OC1 Dual Algorithm Wireless Wristwatch Air Intergrated and the new Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Console.......
Completely different machines; one is a very nice watch you can wear all day long (I even sleep with my OC1-LE on :wink:) while the other is a console. One has a color OLED display the other not.

In terms of navigating / using the dive computers, the OC1 too has an easy to navigate menu. Of course its display is smaller so there is less info on it, but the STEP BACK and STEP FORWARD functions are quite helpful.

Also, we have designed an online class for the OC1 and it is also available in our simulator so you can go for a virtual dive with it :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

If the OC1's wireless functionality is anything like the VT3 that I've had for three years now you've got nothing to worry about with syncing or losing it. I've never had it lose contact with the transmitter and LOVE the VT3. Would buy again (or the OC1) in a minute.

I'd go with the UEMIS. Wireless AI coupled with easy to use sliding buttons for navigation and set-up AND colorful graphics.

One thing people seem to love about the Cobalt is how easy it is to navigate menus and change settings without referencing the manual, in stark contrast to some other dive computers.

Which begs the question; do you do much 'fiddling' with settings?

I use an Oceanic VT3; on a Bonaire trip, I pull out the manual (which I find fairly miserable to deal with) as I'm mainly a vacation diver and it's not practical to learn all the ins and outs and memorize them permanently, and eventually work out how to set it to Nitrox EAN 32%, and I can pull up the onscreen log and run through dives I've made to get max. depths and times. Other than that, I pretty much run it on 'auto.' for the week. So for me, buying a Cobalt as a nifty toy would probably not be a justified expense.

But if I did a lot of customized settings over the course of a week, I might think again.

Plans are for a wrist version of the Cobalt. Would it make sense for you to buy a cheaper, non-AI wrist unit like a Geo, put the extra money aside & wait for it?

Richard.

I'm using Oceanic Pro Plus II's (which are very easy to program), Atomic Cobalts, (which are insanely easy to program)....and Cochrans, which are moderately hard to program, but if I review the owner's manual and play with the settings before a trip I'll remember how to set them up....plus I'll bring an owner's manual for the Cochrans, just in case.

I'm surprised to hear the Oceanic VT3 is hard to program, as my Pro Plus II's are also Oceanic's and are quite easy to figure out. That said, once you are exposed to the Cobalts in real life...you REALLY will want to upgrade, and you will have a major case of 'gear envy' if you don't.....high coolness factor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom