Oceanic OC1 Wireless Air Integrated or Atomic Cobalt Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So which one of these two would be better if i plan on getting into technical diving? I like that the Atomic looks easier but if the OC1 will do more then I just need to get my but in gear and learn it. Thank you for any help.
If by technical diving you mean trimix, then neither of these are suitable. If you mean diving outside recreational depths, or using nitrox mixes up to 100%, or using multiple mixes on one dive, then both will work. The OC1 does allow for pressure sensing on multiple tanks (if you buy additional sending units). While the Cobalt will calculate the deco for multiple gases, there is only one tank pressure sensor.

I doubt the OC1 is that difficult to use, as much as it is less intuitive- you have to remember what to do to get where you want to go. The Cobalt was designed to be simply picked up and used, without needing a manual, cheat sheet, or specialty class. Our experience has been that divers know how to use it- set mixes, PO2 limits, and preferences- in just a few minutes of playing with it. I think people do need to refer to the manual to effectively use the dive planning functions, since it replicates the capabilities of desktop dive planners. It has features that you would probably not figure out without reading the instructions.

How long before you start tech diving? I'd chose the computer to suit the diving you will be doing in the near future, and cross the tech diving computer bridge later, when you have a clear idea of the type of diving you will do.

Computers are evolving rapidly, and there will probably be something better- perhaps a wrist mount Cobalt with multiple tank and/ or trimix capability:D- in the future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom