offbeat fin question (and feet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learn better kicking technique?
Personally I'd vote for getting some Jets and learn to frog kick.

SparticleBrane:
Learn better kicking technique?
Personally I'd vote for getting some Jets and learn to frog kick.
He gets foot cramps sking... how exactly do you do a frog kick on the slopes?

And jets are about the least flexible foot of any fins.

Oh, and circulation cramps are not effected by the type of kick..

Ah, if your circulation is indeed getting cut off by poor-fitting fins, I highly rec the ones I have: tusa zoom split. They have an open heal so are worn with booties. Love them! Might be worth a try.

meesier42:
WOW you guys missed the point of that comment, The point being you won't get a cramp in force fins. period.
You were unclear. I think we all know that you *meant* to say that you have yet to feel the need to use the cramp removal technique you learned as you have never experienced cramps. Lucky you! Maybe you just have easy-to-fit feet. Hopefully you actually do understand the need to learn to use the technique, however.

Force fins are just one of several types of open-heel fins. I don't wear force fins, and I've not had any cramps since I began to wear open-heel fins (I have Tusa X-Pert Zoom splits and Mares Quattros paddles), so I would expect other brands of open-heel fins to work as well for me, perhaps even force fins.

Unless you’re certain what’s causing the cramps, you can’t be sure which of the solutions being offered might work.

Although open-heel has been mentioned, the reason Force Fins work for some is their huge open toe, much bigger than biofin’s.
Compare http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_Pro.htm
And http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/proforce_product.htm

The Force Fin puts no pressure on the toes or near by. I’ve had an occasional cramp with full-foot and with conventional and split open-heel fins (when I’d been neglecting my exercise routine). But I’ve never had cramps with Force Fins. They were also great when I was diving with a broken toe.

Perhaps you can borrow various fins and experiment.

Heya --

I'm also in DC. I use Forcefins, and like them quite a lot -- but I've just ordered a pair of mor-fins, and when I get them you're welcome to give them a try (if they fit).

Because I swim quite a lot I find the "bigger is better" philosophy of fins really questionable. The main hinderance to moving quickly and easily through water is drag. And the main way to minimize drag is hydrodynamic streamlining -- and shaping surfaces to generate lift through the water.

That seems to be the reasoning behind the mor-fins -- which are shaped a lot like a pelagic fish tail.

But your question is about cramping. The designer of the mor-fins stressed a lot how the fin was designed to allow your toe to move freely while bending from the ball of your foot.

We'll see how well they work.

P.S. I don't care how "silly" something looks if it works. Function is the bottom line with equipment.

I would like to try them out when at some point. I have read testing on them, but I want to know the real story.

The Special Forces guys I talked to loved their Force Fins. They would find themselves kicking for hours just to get to work. I tried them once but I kick wrong for that type of fin.

Personally, I use Atomic Split fins and love them. I just added the sprins and they are even better.

As for hydration, I use Poweraid. I used to cramp up all the time. It never happens if I drink a bottle of my favorite, the blue stuff.

I had an issue like that with my foot cramping. It would do it in ski boots, but not snowboard boots, roller blades, my fins, and someother things. What I found out is I have a wide foot, and if something is too tight on the side of my feet, I get cramps. My snowboard boats are plenty wide so it wasn't an issue. My ski boots and roller blades are plastic so they have no give. The way my fins are, rear entry, the foot pocket isn't so wide and didn't offer much give either. If I went up a size, they were too big. I tried other fins and didn't have a problem, but they did have a wider foot pocket. This is something you may want to look into.

Somebody told me dehydration and lack of potassium, so I started taking supplements and drinking lots of water, but it still happened. So check the width of your fin out, that could be it.

That being said, can anybody recommend a fin with a wider foot pocket?

I have ankle problems for various reasons. My ridiculously long Aquatech Blades were giving my ankles and occasionally my feet all kinds of pain. Forutnately they broke right before a dive and I picked a pair of OMS Slipstreams (Jet Style). I was a much happier diver after that.

Oh, and they have a shallower, but wider pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom