offbeat fin question (and feet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drink Water and more water, when you dive the newer regs are some kind of plastic and doesn't "sweat" providing moisture. So you have to hydrate alot more. As for skating and sking I won't even guess but it does stop cramps I was having in
my legs when I swicthed to plastic and was really dry after the first dive.

I'm sorry I don't know anyone with force fins and never tried them. If you can believe in Rodales Scuda Diver their product tests they say the apollo bio fins are like the best for stoping cramps in your leg. But they mentioned the foot pocket was rated supior for a comfortable fit to a majority of divers.

You need to try and borrow Bio's and Force Fins to see how they feel to you.

Hi,
I've been lurking on this site for quite a while, and haven't posted yet, but I'll jump in on this one. I was a ski instructor for several years and there is a phenomenon that takes place in ski boots, as well as ice skates and other forms of athletic footware that not lots of people know about. In ski boots, and I would imagine this can happen in fins as well, a lot of "not relaxed" or "still nervous" skiers tend to "grab" the footbeds with their toes, kinda like they are holding on. Most people skiing are doing this and don't realize it because they are concentrating on so many other things. These people end up with sore feet, and sometimes cramping in their feet, but never really know why. I agree with the other posters that keeping hydrated and using a different type of fin would likely help, but relaxing your foot itself while you are finning might help out too. As you get more comfortable underwater, you may find that your foot cramps decrease because you are more relaxed in general.

Hope that helps.

And maybe it might help your skiing and skating a little too...

I have Mares, Tusa, and Force fins. I actually have two pairs of force fins. One pair was bought in '95 an the other pair was bought in '03. Mares and Tusa's were both bought in '03 also. One pair was for me, one for my father-in-law, and another for my wife. Long story short... I have NEVER had cramps with force fins, yet I have had some with others. I think it is the way I kick. That is important when choosing a fin. The splits probably work just as well, but I just like the feel of the forces. I still use my mares because my father-in-law chose to go with apollo's, just depends on the diving I am doing, if that makes any sense.

As far as if you use force fins, you will "never" have cramps, I still haven't met anyone who has. If anyone here has, let us know. I'm interested in any negative reviews of force fins by people who actually have dove them.

tpb31:
I had an issue like that with my foot cramping. It would do it in ski boots, but not snowboard boots, roller blades, my fins, and someother things. What I found out is I have a wide foot, and if something is too tight on the side of my feet, I get cramps. My snowboard boats are plenty wide so it wasn't an issue. My ski boots and roller blades are plastic so they have no give. The way my fins are, rear entry, the foot pocket isn't so wide and didn't offer much give either. If I went up a size, they were too big. I tried other fins and didn't have a problem, but they did have a wider foot pocket. This is something you may want to look into.

Somebody told me dehydration and lack of potassium, so I started taking supplements and drinking lots of water, but it still happened. So check the width of your fin out, that could be it.

That being said, can anybody recommend a fin with a wider foot pocket?

Hmmm. My issue is definately feet. I'm thinking it might be tightness on the wide feet rather than anything else. But at the same time, it could just be me tensing up.

I tried out some force fins and I didn't have any issues. Will be trying them a bit more to make sure.

--Me

Just a side note, I ended up buying a set of Scubapro Twin Jets and it has a nice, wide , soft (at least compared to my last set of fins), comforatble foot pocket. I have used them twice with no cramps!!!

I have also been taking some potassium supplements though before I dive in addition to drinking a ton of water, so I can't say for sure what is keeping the cramps away. I can tell you though that my feet are a lot more comfortable.

tpb31:
I have also been taking some potassium supplements though before I dive in addition to drinking a ton of water, so I can't say for sure what is keeping the cramps away. I can tell you though that my feet are a lot more comfortable.
Was it really potassium supplement that you took or maybe magnesium?? Because it's usually the latter one that is used to prevent cramps. Cramps are often caused by an imbalance of the magnesium (and calcium) level in the body.

I don't have any information on the original question, because as it turns out, I haven't had problems with cramping on scuba. I have problems with foot cramps a lot otherwise, but it just hasn't been an issue underwater, with either the Twin Jets I started out with, or the Jets I use now.

But I do want to correct some other information. Cramps are generally NOT caused by dehydration or low potassium, and eating bananas is very unlikely to be of any help. Potassium is abundant in foodstuffs, and unless you are taking a medication that depletes you of it, is very unlikely to be significantly low in healthy people.

HERE is a good discussion of cramps and cramp prevention for divers.

kilo_fox:
Was it really potassium supplement that you took or maybe magnesium?? Because it's usually the latter one that is used to prevent cramps. Cramps are often caused by an imbalance of the magnesium (and calcium) level in the body.

It was Potassium. I thought potassium kept you from cramping?:confused: That is why I was told to eat banana's if I got cramps. Well, now I will have another supplement to buy. But if that is the case, I think maybe a combo of the new fins and staying hydrated is helping.

By far the most comfortable fins I own are Apollo Biofins. The second most comfortable I've tried (and I've tried a lot) are the Manta-Rays.

Force fins are comfortable for me, but the pockets are much more rigid vs. BioFins. BioFins IMO maybe the best fin on the market for ANY kick but the reverse frog. This in part is because of the ease of kicking, and comfort.

I have both force fins (L), and BioFins (M) for Sale in the Gear Equipment Classified section. If interested you can PM me.

RonFrank:
By far the most comfortable fins I own are Apollo Biofins. The second most comfortable I've tried (and I've tried a lot) are the Manta-Rays.

Force fins are comfortable for me, but the pockets are much more rigid vs. BioFins. BioFins IMO maybe the best fin on the market for ANY kick but the reverse frog. This in part is because of the ease of kicking, and comfort.

I have both force fins (L), and BioFins (M) for Sale in the Gear Equipment Classified section. If interested you can PM me.

I test drove my Force Fins yesterday for 3 hours with no cramping. They are a little tight on the width of my feet, but even after 3 hours in the pool (some time with scuba gear, sometimes just snorkeling) my feet were 100%.

--Me

Back
Top Bottom