Offgas Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll be there in three weeks for 8 nights. We like to take a day off during the middle of the dive trip for a bit of an offgas, or to try some other local diving than reefs., What are your ideas for day off activities?

Our list
-we've done cenotes a few times
-wrong season for PDC bull sharks / IM whale sharks so I read
-Have done El Cedral
-Have rented an Isis mobile and driven around the isla, including punta sur
Tulum, etc... was going to do this last time but hammocks were calling

Other ideas?
Now likely once we get a day or so of island rot, we'll likely find ourselves in the hammocks again, but one never knows!

We rented a Volkswagon Beetle from Playa del Carmen (which, incidentally gave its name to my daughter) and went on "walk about" for a few days. We really enjoyed that. It was butterfly season and on some of the B roads there were literally clouds of them.... very cool.

We also visited several Mayan sites, some of which were very much off the beaten path. In the process we had a couple of encounters with army units who were patrolling for Zapatistas. I'm not sure what the current situation is but if you get off the beaten path then you run the risk of having an interesting experience. My wife nearly got tackled by a wild turkey at one of the sites. It's still one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen in our travels.... my wife running out of the forest being chased by an angry turkey.... LOL

R..

Nope. One time they were slow, and another time they were an hour or so late. I do like their cheap rates, but it may well be worth it to pay more - fine. . . .

Maybe it costs more, but I have usually hired guides on the site. I can't recall visiting a Mayan ruin site that didn't have guides hanging around waiting to be hired. You walk up to one, pay your money, and you're off. I did not have a guide at Tulum, and I probably missed out on a lot of good info by relying solely on signs and a guidebook. I'm pretty sure I had one at Chichen Itza, though I mix that one up in my head with Palenque. After a few of them, they all start to seem the same to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom