Offgas Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if you really are interested in Mayan history the best sites are Palenque (MX) and Tikal (Guatemala). Given your specs I'd opt for the bus to Chitzen Itsa. We've done it several times ....early ferry to PDC, bus to CI, bus back to PDC and dinner there and a later ferry back to Coz in time for a night cap margarita at Wet Wendy's :) It's a solid day!

Bob

Well if you really are interested in Mayan history the best sites are Palenque (MX) and Tikal (Guatemala). Given your specs I'd opt for the bus to Chitzen Itsa. We've done it several times ....early ferry to PDC, bus to CI, bus back to PDC and dinner there and a later ferry back to Coz in time for a night cap margarita at Wet Wendy's :) It's a solid day!

Bob
Well, that's a pretty intense day...the bus from PDC to Chitzen Itza takes 3 1/2 hours one-way, plus the round trip ferry rides. Is it doable,...yes...but wow.

Well, that's a pretty intense day of "relaxin" "...the round-trip bus trek from PDC to Chichen Itza alone will take 7 hours, plus the round trip ferry rides. Is it doable,...yes...but wow.

Next month is going to be my first time to PDC -- 1st time to Mexico actually; never did the spring break thing to there regrettably.

I am wondering if it would be worth it to hire a car for a single day and save time? Then hire a guide at the ruins, yes?

Next month is going to be my first time to PDC -- 1st time to Mexico actually; never did the spring break thing to there regrettably.

I am wondering if it would be worth it to hire a car for a single day and save time? Then hire a guide at the ruins, yes?
The answer depends on personal opinion. We rented a car with full insurance* to save time, but the bus would be cheaper. I don't care for local guides as I doubt that they really know what they're talking about. I do like to print & take my own maps, then go where & when I prefer.

* Do not rely on your credit card to insure your car. If you decline coverage, then you may indeed have some coverage there - but if there is a problem, you may have to pay in full before you can leave (maybe before you can leave jail), then file for reimbursement later - if you can be sure to get all the receipts, then file those Spanish receipts correctly, and wait. We used Easyway for the best price including insurance.

I don't care for local guides as I doubt that they really know what they're talking about.

I thought you weren't allowed to enter without a guide? Is that not the case?

I don't care for local guides as I doubt that they really know what they're talking about.

What utter, unmitigated nonsense.

We used Easyway for the best price including insurance.

Up to about 8 years ago, Easyway was a great company. Customer service went steadily downhill, and now is completely unreliable, often adding on charges, renting junk cars, and frequently using your credit card for their use after you've rented.

At this time, I would recommend American Car Rental, aka Caribbean Car Rental, aka Cancun Car Rental, or Avant

I thought you weren't allowed to enter without a guide? Is that not the case?

No, you can enter without a guide, but with the exception of Tulum, you'd be missing about 90% of what the ruins are all about. They are a fascinating story, even for non-history buffs. A guide makes the visit so much richer. I always felt that they were worth at least double what they charged.

Up to about 8 years ago, Easyway was a great company. Customer service went steadily downhill, and now is completely unreliable, often adding on charges, renting junk cars, and frequently using your credit card for their use after you've rented.

At this time, I would recommend American Car Rental, aka Caribbean Car Rental, aka Cancun Car Rental, or Avant
We did indeed have some issues with Easyway. Look at those, shop around, but get a quote including all insurance - along with other cautions, i.e. watching for trickery, taking pictures of the car that show any defects - with the agent in the photo pointing, make sure it has a spare, etc.

No, you can enter without a guide, but with the exception of Tulum, you'd be missing about 90% of what the ruins are all about. They are a fascinating story, even for non-history buffs. A guide makes the visit so much richer. I always felt that they were worth at least double what they charged.
Was the "What utter, unmitigated nonsense" directed at me? We're each entitled to our respective opinions, and I don't care about yours anymore than you exhibit about mine. Hire a guide if you want to, it may be entertaining, and he just might actually know some facts - or not.

We did indeed have some issues with Easyway. Look at those, shop around, but get a quote including all insurance - along with other cautions, i.e. watching for trickery, taking pictures of the car that show any defects - with the agent in the photo pointing, make sure it has a spare, etc.

Was the "What utter, unmitigated nonsense" directed at me? We're each entitled to our respective opinions, and I don't care about yours anymore than you exhibit about mine. Hire a guide if you want to, it may be entertaining, and he just might actually know some facts - or not.

If you had some issues with Easyway indicating dishonesty, why would you recommend them?

Yes indeed, the comment was directed at you. On what do you base your opinion, to which you are entitled?
I base my opinion, as I indicated, on my experience with the guides that I've hired, who have demonstrated an extraordinary wealth of knowledge, delivered articulately and sometimes movingly, some of which I have subsequently corroborated.

Suggesting that the guides, who you've apparently never hired, don't know what they're talking about, but you're qualified to opine about them seems a bit nonsensical, no?

If you had some issues with Easyway indicating dishonesty, why would you recommend them?
Nope. One time they were slow, and another time they were an hour or so late. I do like their cheap rates, but it may well be worth it to pay more - fine.

Yes indeed, the comment was directed at you. On what do you base your opinion, to which you are entitled?
My dive bud did hire guides at the Cozumel ruins and at Tulum even tho I said I wasn't interested. I doubted that they knew all that much, but if you were entertained - fine.

Back
Top Bottom