Offgas Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand they have an expensive, under used airport there. I'd rather drive than mess with planes, but go for it.

Got eclipse viewers? Here is a 10 pack for $10: Solar Eclipse Glasses 100% KID SAFE Sun GAZING Filter (10 PACK) USA 2017 CE

Thanks, my wife ordered a 6 pack. Off topic, but pretty excited about the eclipse. I've been doing some reading and everything I've seem says that for a total eclipse, spend whatever it takes to get yourself to the path of totality. We shall see!

Back to your regularly scheduled diving talk...

everything I've seem says that for a total eclipse, spend whatever it takes to get yourself to the path of totality.
And pray for clear skies. We enjoyed the Annular Eclipse that came thru my home area a few years ago, and it went on for a long time towards sunset. We didn't need the viewers to watch it at sundown. This is our first Total tho, and it's only a little more of 2 minutes of totality when I want to remove the viewers and look around me.

I hope both trips go well for you.

Yea Tulum is not CI, but...if you want bang for your buck. Go to Tulum and get at least a glimpse of the Mayans (if you want to do an academic study then go to CI). Here's what I mean. When you get to Playa del Carmen, rent a car. It's cheap, just an old Volkswagen (check the trunk in the front, you may have to buy a bicycle chain and lock. Conveniently it will be next door to the car rental). Bring snorkel gear. Go to Tulum and then go to Xel-ha to snorkel (it's just a short drive away). You will see more species of fish at Xel-ha than you will at Coz. I mean, it is a salt water aquarium. If you really want to see "local culture" on the Yucatan, drive down to Chetumal (on the border with Honduras but not a long drive). There's a great cenote you can dive there (water is sooo cold) but snorkeling in the bay is great too. No one goes there. When you drive into Chetumal you will see shacks made of tin and children rolling bicycle rims with sticks. If you get out of your car, at the only store there, you will have to take a picture and pay them. Years ago my wife and I were the "usual tourists." But after so many trips to so many resorts we decided "to hell with where people told us we should go." So, we went on our own path. And we discovered our own Yucatan (which includes Coz and eating where the locals live). If you want someone to come along and refill you margarita while you lay on the beach, more power to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you want adventure, then get in a car and go explore. Get a map, read about it (Google has everything) stick some pins in it and go explore! I will say this. After you see the poverty in the little villages along the Yucatan to Honduras you will go home as changed people. After all the thousands and thousands of dollars I spent taking my wife to swank resorts, she remembered that trip, and told her friends about it until they were sick or it. You want to do something new with your wife? Go on an adventure. Chances are...she never had one.

I just told someone on another post, basically the same as Dandy Don. Yes, Xel ha is a great place to snorkel. In fact, you will see more fish there than Coz.

All good advice, thanks.

We've done lots of travel to lots of places and are not swank people and hate resorts, she's had tons of adventure in bamboo huts in the amazon, sleeping around a fire in the outback, taking off dirt runways in Belize and Costa Rica in questionable planes, tent in north queensland rainforest.... you get the idea

Thread was really about ideas for a day other than the things we've done, I will add your suggestions to the to do list. Our day off is also my wife's 50th so the consideration is slightly different.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide, enjoy! After you added that you have seen Mayan ruins before, I would change my suggestion to just take it easy and relax on your "day off."

All good advice, thanks.

We've done lots of travel to lots of places and are not swank people and hate resorts, she's had tons of adventure in bamboo huts in the amazon, sleeping around a fire in the outback, taking off dirt runways in Belize and Costa Rica in questionable planes, tent in north queensland rainforest.... you get the idea

Thread was really about ideas for a day other than the things we've done, I will add your suggestions to the to do list. Our day off is also my wife's 50th so the consideration is slightly different.

I was going to mention this earlier in the thread but didn't because it's very touristy. Having read what you've written, it sounds even less like your kind of thing, but for some reason it strikes me to put it out there anyway. 5 or maybe 10 minutes south of Playa del Carmen is Xcaret. It kind of like an eco-mexican-disneyworld. Used to be the 3rd largest sea fed salt water aquarium in the world. Turtle Hatchery. Butterfly Sanctuary. Manatees. Mountain lion and Jaguar. Mayan exhibits. Mexican exhibits. Underground river to boat through or snorkel or swim. Lagoon with mostly zero viz where you can snorkel, sea trek, snuba, etc. Very touristy, but interesting and full of stuff to see. You can almost always find deals on the tickets, which don't include food and drink, but it's still about $80 per person. The 3 times I've been there, and it's kinda not my thing either, it seems to be a big attraction for Mexicans on vacation. Very. Touristy. Horse riding exhibitions. People hanging by ropes on their feet twirling around from a very high pole exhibitions. Lockers come with the ticket. Big buffet restaurant and kind of a burgers and fries beach restaurant. Yuuuge turtles. Pictures with Parrots. Old church. Old graveyard. You get the idea.

On the other hand, they do a show every night which is included in the ticket price. You can pay extra for the ticket and then it comes with dinner at the show. The show is not to be missed and imo, it's worth three fourths of the ticket price even without the dinner. It's in Spanish. All of it. If you don't speak, it doesn't matter. First half is the history of Mexico. Second half features several different Mexican States and the music, song, dance and clothing of that region. Unbelievably beautiful. Amazing costumes. Cast of over 300. It starts at about dark and lasts a couple hours or so with intermission. Even if you got there for lunch, or right after lunch, there's plenty to see before the show and with the show, I'd still think you got your money's worth.

It's not a bamboo hut in the Amazon, for sure, but that show is really nice, and with dinner it could be kind of a nice night, then back on the ferry and on Cozumel about 10:30 or 11pm. Easy day and a great show.

Great idea!

You, dear sir, are a Philistine! :D The vistas at the top alone are worth it, but the history and drama are palpable. You can feel the ghosts assessing your presence as you walk where they once walked. Parts are def spooky and you can sometimes feel them scream "Xe!"

Note to self: no scubaboard browsing without glasses. I saw your critter pic. Noted it's front paw raised on the left, continuing looking up it's shoulder, onto it's strangely long neck only to discover no head. My, that gave me a jolt in the morning. Great photos btw, it's difficult to capture an over photographed ruin in a fresh way like you did.

Anyway. Four years back coba impressed me. At that time (still today I believe) they allowed access and climbing so it felt much more 'real' in a tactile sense. If I had to choose I'd return there before tulum or Chichen-Itza because I tend to prefer solitude and the herds of tourists quickly overrun the other more popular sites. Both of which are special I must add I'm sure particularly before everything was roped.

Regards,
Cameron

Great photos btw, it's difficult to capture an over photographed ruin in a fresh way like you did.
Thanks for the kind words, especially since those were from my Samsung phone and hand warmer combo! It helps if you're enraptured with the place. I've been there twice now. Would I go a third? Oh yes, but I do want to see CI and any other ruins. I would also bring a gallon of insect repellent. :D :D :D

Well, reporting back, looked at all the options and given our time this trip, knowing what my wife likes and doesn't like, and the fact that it was a bit of a splurge birthday for her, decided to do a private flight over with Fly Cozumel, and it was awesome. Set it up with Leo, took care of all the arrangements, kept it a secret after he picked us up, stopped by Maple Bake House for a Crocodillo on the way, had flowers on the plane, and had a private tour of CI and then Ik Kil. Flew in a little 4 seater Cessna which was a bit of a thrill in itself, especially coming back during the afternoon winds with air from a well heated jungle rising below us.

Got to CI at 9, was back in the hammock reading a book by 3. All well worth it and my wife was very happy with it, which means, you know, some credit in the bank

Would not do CI again, we were a bit early although by 9 was already getting crowded, when we left at noonish oh man, it was utter craziness and it was getting very hot.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom