Offgas Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coba it's about a 2 hour drive from Playa via Tulum. I haven't been to Chichen Itza since 2011 but at that time assending the pyramid was no longer allowed since a tourist fell to her death in 2006. At that time you could still assend the ones in Coba. Of the two I preferred Coba, and not just the climbing aspect. Chichen Itza is about 4 hours of driving each way so it makes for a very long day but with Coba you can head over early and explore the ruins, before it is too hot, and then heading back towards Tulum and go swimming in a Cenote, grab a meal in Tulum and make it back to Cozumel at a reasonable time.

Last edited:
This is what we were going to do last Nov - or at least the Tulum, cenote part, but once we get on vacation, and after diving a few days, we're not all that motivated to get up for the first ferry, sweat all day, come back tired, etc.. That's why Dave's option is interesting....

Is the PDC - CI drive really 4 hours or is it less on the toll road?

This is what we were going to do last Nov - or at least the Tulum, cenote part, but once we get on vacation, and after diving a few days, we're not all that motivated to get up for the first ferry, sweat all day, come back tired, etc.. That's why Dave's option is interesting....

I can hit Merida from Puerto Morelos in 4 hours.

Nope, two hours.

You know I've wanted to see CI but the ferry/drive for a day trip was daunting... but this might be something to look into.... Can you see enough of the park in say 2.5-3 hours?
Daunting? What a wuss. Or maybe I'm being unfair.

To your question: Yes or no. Depends on how much you want to take in. I guess some could spend days exploring the ruins and cenote, but 3 or 4 hours is a good introduction, I think - enough for me anyway.

We did take an overnight trip arriving at the Mayaland hotel Dave has suggested in the afternoon, and that place was almost worth the drive. A delightful & historic hotel that's been nicely restored with modern amenities, along with lovely grounds and a very nice restaurant. BTW, Google maps says it's only a 2 hour drive from PDC now with the new toll road northwest to intersect the old toll road. It took us a little longer going thru Tulum and Coba both ways, but not a bad drive still - yet it would be nice to shave an hour off of the trip.

The hotel is at the back gate to CI, so convenient, and we took in the evening show at CI, then went back in the next morning after a lovely breakfast to enjoy the world heritage site before the hordes of tour buses arrived, as well as a cooler visit than they had. Really nice.

We skipped lunch, eating some trail food in the car over to nearby Ek Balam ruins, a site some prefer over CI as it is also very rewarding. It was getting warmer by then of course, but bearable. You can climb the steps of the big building at the back there and enjoy close views at the famous artwork, but we did skip that part. We were back in PDC early enough to ferry over for dinner in Cozumel.

Spray with DEET early & often for any ruins outing, and for most I suggest a backpack each with 2 quart vacuum bottles of cool water in each. Drink & pee as needed and carry bandanas to wipe sweat. We stopped at the grocery in Tulum for bottled water, a cheap cooler, and ice, but one could acquire those at a PDC grocery.

upload_2017-4-25_15-44-17.png

We left our luggage & gear in our Coz hotel room even tho we didn't sleep there that night. If you wanted to skip the Mayaland hotel (pity), you could do the above in a long day trip ok, or if you didn't want to drive as far - could do Coba ruins in the morning and Tulum ruins in the afternoon which overlook the sea so not as hot as others.

More info on the ruins: Mayan Ruins

upload_2017-4-25_16-3-50.png

Last edited:
These sites look so accessible now that I see them on a road map. By bus, which seemed to stop in every little town, it felt a lot more distant. Chichen Itza was like a whole day's journey from the coast. Rent a car and see 'em all!

I figure I have about 48 weeks to offgas in the USA. Someday (maybe soon) I will be too old to dive and I can see other stuff then.

Nope, two hours.

Daunting? What a wuss. Or maybe I'm being unfair.

Thank you (and Dave) for the info and the idea... Our off day is my wife's 50th... might just say pack a backpack and ready for a surprise field trip after diving that day :)

As for "daunting", LOL, I should explain I guess. didn't mean it in a fearful way, but in a "i'm on vacation, I don't want to rise at 6 am for the ferry, ferry and drive for 3-4 hours, walk the ruins in the heat with a million other people, then drive /ferry 3-4 hours back and get home at 10, utterly exhausted. Done all day ruin tours in Belize/Guatemala, Jordan (Wadi Rum and Petra), Austrailan outback (uluru and kata tjuta), Angkor Wat in Cambodia,heck even a day in Rome in August... so I know what that misery is like and like to limit that on a vacation like Coz. I also know my wife's limits (which is the most important of all). We will both be fine with the CI highlights and don't need a full immersion experience. But the Mayaland overnight sounds like the perfect balance.

I had seen the google map drive time and wondered how accurate it was. We would likely drive back via the free road and at least stop by Tulum and maybe Gran Cenote, depending...

Can you say more about the CI night show? I assume I could arrange a morning guide on arrival at Mayaland?

These sites look so accessible now that I see them on a road map. By bus, which seemed to stop in every little town, it felt a lot more distant. Chichen Itza was like a whole day's journey from the coast. Rent a car and see 'em all!
Well, it sounds like you caught the wrong bus, but driving lets you go where you want when you want, and leave stuff in the trunk - always mindful that thieves do roam. You could do CI & Ek Balam one day, Coba & Tulum ruins the next, and include some other stops along the way, but don't push it too hard. I preferred two different vacations for those two days.

I figure I have about 48 weeks to offgas in the USA. Someday (maybe soon) I will be too old to dive and I can see other stuff then.
And too old to hike ancient cities, climb buildings, and bicycle thru Coba. If you don't want to see ruins, fine - but if you do, add a day now. I still get around ok, but I can't keep up with my kids & grandkids on hikes. I did 4 days & nights alone in Big Bend NP last week, but kept to the easy trails and napped a lot. Gawd it was hot, and I hid later afternoons.

s for "daunting", LOL, I should explain I guess. didn't mean it in a fearful way, but in a "i'm on vacation, I don't want to rise at 6 am for the ferry, ferry and drive for 3-4 hours, walk the ruins in the heat with a million other people, then drive /ferry 3-4 hours back and get home at 10, utterly exhausted.
Ok, I agree, but I would never suggest such. I suggest CI first thing in the morning before the hordes arrive, etc. I like to finish a day in time for a reasonable supper hour. The kids, grandkids, and I are doing Mount Rushmore, Little Bighorn, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and finishing with the August 21 Eclipse, and I'm planning the drive times to avoid overdoing any day. Some afternoons I reserve the right to siesta while they carry the bear spray & PLB.

I had seen the google map drive time and wondered how accurate it was. We would likely drive back via the free road and at least stop by Tulum and maybe Gran Cenote, depending...
I think it's accurate enough. Those toll roads are so much faster than the free roads. Sometimes I reject google's choices in routes that are 1 minute faster than better roads, but their measurements seem pretty accurate. You could do Mayaland hotel, CI, Ek Balam, and still have time for a cenote stop altho I avoid driving after sunset there. That does add some drive time, but maybe not too much since you are doing 2 hours of it the afternoon before.

Can you say more about the CI night show? I assume I could arrange a morning guide on arrival at Mayaland?
I thought the night show was weak, but many do enjoy it. Maybe their sound equipment will work better than for my visit - surely, and the light show on the ruins is interesting. Worth it since you're there anyway.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Also looking into a flight over from Coz as another (quite a bit more expensive) option....

BTW, we also recently booked our airfare to Portland for the eclipse, we're going to camp in central oregon for a couple nights. Just more epic s&*t to experience while I can :)

Thanks for the info! Also looking into a flight over from Coz as another (quite a bit more expensive) option....

BTW, we also recently booked our airfare to Portland for the eclipse, we're going to camp in central oregon for a couple nights. Just more epic s&*t to experience while I can :)
I understand they have an expensive, under used airport there. I'd rather drive than mess with planes, but go for it.

Got eclipse viewers? Here is a 10 pack for $10: Solar Eclipse Glasses 100% KID SAFE Sun GAZING Filter (10 PACK) USA 2017 CE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom