Offgas Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We'll be there in three weeks for 8 nights. We like to take a day off during the middle of the dive trip for a bit of an offgas, or to try some other local diving than reefs., What are your ideas for day off activities?

Our list
-we've done cenotes a few times
-wrong season for PDC bull sharks / IM whale sharks so I read
-Have done El Cedral
-Have rented an Isis mobile and driven around the isla, including punta sur
Tulum, etc... was going to do this last time but hammocks were calling

Other ideas?
Now likely once we get a day or so of island rot, we'll likely find ourselves in the hammocks again, but one never knows!

Tulum is way, way, way worth it. JUST BRING LOTS OF SKEETER REPELLENT. I last went there with @sphyon and was hoping his ugly mug would scare them away. No such luck.

I vote for Chichin Itza. Just go early, or better yet, rent a car go in the afternoon and spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel. Name is funky but it is a great jungle experience by itself and you can walk into the park by yourself before the tour busses show up, then leave by noon and get back to Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Tuluum is just a pile of rocks surrounded by tourists

If you've never done any of the ruins, I'd recommend Chichen Itza over Tulum because (in my opinion) it's more conducive to learning. Tulum has that one iconic picture-postcard view of the ruins with the sea behind it, but if you're more interested in figuring out what went on at these sites and what it all meant than just taking in the view, I think Tulum can be challenging (at least without a good tour guide, which I did not have either time I visited). I think I've been to at least six of the various sites in Yucatan and Guatemala. Fascinating stuff.

As for our offgassing day, last trip we cycled from Villa Aldora down to Skyreef and marinated ourselves for a few hours.

I vote for Chichin Itza. Just go early, or better yet, rent a car go in the afternoon and spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel.
Great idea!
You, dear sir, are a Philistine! :D The vistas at the top alone are worth it, but the history and drama are palpable. You can feel the ghosts assessing your presence as you walk where they once walked. Parts are def spooky and you can sometimes feel them scream "Xe!"

T_c-NWPkg9jrrdxmn_dNQ_MKS7KUg2DAYuowUjvUxtLCv3BJl8cUsDqwdt36CZneCvKxIpc052cF9W4ope=w1634-h919-no.jpg

ReYo-AbZse9h2-zrH2x1Jx29jmhuY4FfI-gUJ8G7-DYdUQ4GzooL5iMycRdSEWWwm67s8GfD9_CPbpzNQu=w1634-h919-no.jpg

dzmp4QSjNVvvqR1sX3OTmf2DtoZIn6ycBENOYHQj3NI_cdKToVNj1agKjzZgJmioH5xaM8IgeOyvWCJ4Ok=w1634-h919-no.jpg

L2jnh9Ar9Y4UDvmxGo6vUaU-WuCXT3DeKZ8sVLr-Eg3RhbKZFIlMPYgC5D8kH2j_1ryenPgObchgTf4m5w=w1634-h919-no.jpg

OIPVGfnjx9Nea_-xHWPC0NJbJoVf_Z5fhaMVmzSKb0KcATy6cpITjExVp7RlBk61qdWfiXm8LlP_E4E_tM=w1634-h919-no.jpg

YnfaC6tZD9x44vcdfj9IiMTzkWFhzrQhz0HhkwKl1WU5bs1UfhoaFywad80fyKoNkJI7DVy_6h4iRGakHo=w1435-h919-no.jpg

I vote for Chichin Itza. Just go early, or better yet, rent a car go in the afternoon and spend one night at the Mayaland Hotel. Name is funky but it is a great jungle experience by itself and you can walk into the park by yourself before the tour busses show up, then leave by noon and get back to Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You know I've wanted to see CI but the ferry/drive for a day trip was daunting... but this might be something to look into.... Can you see enough of the park in say 2.5-3 hours?

If you are really into the history of the Mayans and the majesty of the ruins, Chichen Itza is definitely better than Tulum. HOWEVER, Chichen Itza is a long trek from Cozumel, and unless you fly (expensive), it will involve several hours of drive time each way, making a single day trip difficult. If you are just mildly interested in the ruins, and don't feel like a long drive to see the best, Tulum is a worthwhile trip at least once, and you'll still have time for something else. Let me suggest: (a) take an early ferry to Playa Del Carmen; (b) rent a car - you'll find at least a few rental agencies within a few blocks of the Ferry Pier; (c) drive down to Tulum - best to get there early to beat the tour group crowds, plus it won't be as swelteringly hot; (d) after 2-4 hours at Tulum, or whenever you get tired of it, get back in your car, head back towards PDC, and spend the rest of the day at either Xcaret Park - Xcaret Park Cancun Mexico - or Xel Ha - ¡Prepárate para escribir la historia de tus próximas vacaciones! Both are right on the highway between Tulum and PDC. Both Xcaret and Xel Ha have opportunities for snorkeling, swimming in rivers, food, drink, and chilling.

BTW, both Xcaret and Xel Ha are, IMHO, overpriced and kinda expensive - Xel Ha all-inclusive offers a better deal, including food and drink, but even with advanced purchase online it's over $80 per personXcaret is more, and its all-inclusive option only includes a buffet lunch and only beer and non-alcoholic drinks at lunch.

Last edited:
At the expense of being described again as a Philistine, I would repeat that Tuluum pales in comparison to Chichen Itza. Indeed, in the earlly 90s I went to Tuluum and came back to Cozumel certain that I had seen all I need of the Mayan Culture. For the historically minded, Tuluum was an existing city and defended against the Spaniards, not exactly pre-historic. Very few sites there are really significant, either by size or importance, and barely more historically important than San Gervasio in Cozumel. Nice view of the beach however.

On the other hand, Chichen Itza was one of the most important parts of pre Colombian culture and includes enormous structures of that period.

In the late nineties I was coerced into flying to Chichen-Itza by a girlfriend…wow was I blown away! Of course then you could climb all over the place, but the on site hotel, Mayaland, was the best part.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

At the expense of being described again as a Philistine,
I hope that doesn't leave an indelible mark on your soul! :D :D :D I probably owe you a beer for that. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom