Old Diver needs new fin reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of TUSA fins that are about 10-15 years old. They still do the job but I am looking to get some new fins. Any suggestions? I have looked at some of
the other past threads.

APS Mantaray Fins --you will never want to dive with anything else.

I've lent mine to several friends and most of them purchased a pair soon afterward. When I let a local dive shop owner try them, he became a distributor.

Their website is APS Mantaray Dive Fins

Here's a review I wrote of the fins that has more information: AtomicPirate WE COME FOR THE BOOTY

Jeff

Well, I'm an old snorkeller who began in the late 1950s and I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" and "new doesn't mean better" camp. I still swim with the good old-fashioned kind of all-rubber full-foot fins popular half a century ago and having seen what new-fangled products fin manufacturers have come up with over the years to tempt underwater swimmers I remain happy with my original choice. There are still plenty of manufacturers making fins the way they used to be made and the way I still like them.

You say that your TUSA fins "still do the job". Why not stick with what you know? If your original fins are still in production, you could simply get another or similar pair. Whatever you do, don't give into peer pressure and buy something new and untried just because it's "flavour of the month". Fins are very personal items of gear and should match each individual's foot dimensions, intended activities and swimming style, nobody else's.

I've used my Mares Plana's for 25 years. I still use them in a wetsuit. But, I needed a new pair for my latest drysuit. I got the the new ScubaPro Seawing Novi fins, since they emulate the Plana fins I use. Check them out. Nice bungee fin strap. They are pricey, but I plan to have them for a long time. Look at the ROI that I got on a $65.00 pair of Plana fins (At the time, I thought $65.00 was off the charts!).

Best of luck. You have many to choose from. See if your buddies will let you try their different makes and models.

Best thing would be to just try some out and see what you like best. As far recomendations any of the following would be a great fin.
Xs Turtle fins, Scubapro Jetfins, Hollis F-1, OMS, HOGfins

I agree with Walter's recommendation if you can wear them. I can't, as the footbed is too short and cuts into the top of my foot. I agree with the philosophy though of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I see little/no benefit in most of the weird and wonderful fin designs manufacturers have come up with to try to separate us from our cash. Basic fins, such as the Mares Plana that I also love, or the TUSAs, or the Cressi Frog fins, all do the job extremely well. You just choose a pair that is comfortable on your feet. I prefer stiffer fins as they are more capable in a current or when wearing heavy gear - when using light gear in no current I just fin less and find it very relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom