Old guy needs an air integrated computer that he can READ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My vision is not that bad and yes I have prescription masks. I just don’t like any of the dive computers that Pete @The Chairman has given me to try through the years. I would like it to be air integrated. I looked at the Oceanic Pro that Meg @aquacat8 had at the Mega Dive this weekend. Who else makes something with a large display like that I should consider?

Can I say Sheerwater without the usual fanfare beginning? The screen is quite nice on the eyes....
I have to agree with this. Also, would suggest the Suunto EON Core/Steel.

I use the Oceanic ProPlus 3 that has giant reflective LCD numbers that works well for me. As rhwestfall indicated, the newer generation computers with self illuminated LEDs are brighter.

My vision is not that bad and yes I have prescription masks. I just don’t like any of the dive computers that Pete @The Chairman has given me to try through the years. I would like it to be air integrated. I looked at the Oceanic Pro that Meg @aquacat8 had at the Mega Dive this weekend. Who else makes something with a large display like that I should consider?
My wife has an Atomic Cobalt 2 and she loves it. Display is very easy to read underwater and on the surface. She also finds the settings menu easy and intuitive. We’re new rec divers and she’s been fine with the console set up.

Cobalt 2: $1450, serial cable to PC for downloads. Console. Rechargeable battery. Proprietary RGBM algorithm.
Perdix AI: $1285, Bluetooth for downloads. Wrist mount. AA battery. Buhlmann algorithm with adjustable gradient factors.

Both easy to read and use. Bells and whistles are similar for recreational diving.
So differences are console vs wrist, connection to computer, batteries, algorithms.

ADDED: In response to a private question, those four differences make the score 4 to 0 in favor of the Shearwater Perdix, for me. Others may weight those four factors differently.

Last edited:
Perdix AI has it all ...at a price.
If the budget is an issue, maybe Ratio.
Anything else lives between and IMO it has no much sense in terms of price a/o quality.

Dan tried a Perdix this past weekend: he found it hard to read. Me? I have no problem with it. He's not a tech diver, so ANYTHING with a bright display for my far-sighted friend would be good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom