Old ScubaPro R109 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope - You need the poppet (11-250-220), the spring (01-020-216) and the balance chamber (11-150-102), or the whole assembly (11-250-015). The kit that currently advertized here contains only the poppet. Also, the 2 little o-rings (01-050-363, 2.2mm x 1mm)) that are in the kit are hard to get.

Send them to DAAQUAMASTER.
He can upgrade them to R-156's for the cost of a routine service.
He did 2- R 109's, 2- MkV's for me and they're awesome.
Besides, living in Virginia, the weathers been pretty bad up there.
I'm sure he'd welcome anything to do besides shovelling snow.

Ah, telling the wife... My excuse is usually something to the effect that "I got it for a steal and I'll be able to e-bay it later for much more money." Of course, later doesn't always come sooner....

:D

I can appreciate that argument.
I have a whole plastic bin full of stuff to go on eBay.......ONE DAY........:depressed:
Be on the lookout....I'll be posting BP/W's, regs,fins,reels, dive lights and other misc gear on here come spring.

As far as standard o-rings, the control knob take a -011, and the orifice will often take a -010, but may need a -902. Both are the same ID but the 902 is slightly thinner stock and works well if the -010 is tight.

Thanks awap, I appreciate it.
In so far as sending them off, I suppose I would if it were beyond my capabilities, but I really would prefer to do it myself, even if it was a little more expensive. I just like to tinker, you know?

And mk, I'm just getting started but have basically no money (grad school). I'm not against having to refurb my stuff a bit before I can use it.

poppet (11-250-220)

I'm looking at the 12/97 revR schematic for the 15x/109, and I'm seeing the poppet stem as 11-150-103. I'm guessing that either 11-250-220 is a later version of it, or I'm looking at the wrong part. Do you have a newer schematic than I do, or is that poppet slightly different, etc?

Cheers

I'm looking at the 12/97 revR schematic for the 15x/109, and I'm seeing the poppet stem as 11-150-103. I'm guessing that either 11-250-220 is a later version of it, or I'm looking at the wrong part. Do you have a newer schematic than I do, or is that poppet slightly different, etc?

Cheers

That same poppet is used throughout the balanced G-series and S-series 2nds. I was updated from the older 2-piece poppet (blue poppet with built in seat and metal stem) to the s-wing poppet which is a 1-piece poppet and stem that take 2 small o-ring in the balance chamber and has a replaceable seat. For quite a few years during the changeover, Scubapro included the new S-wing poppet and a new balance chamber in the service kit. But about 2 years ago they went to just just the new replaceable LP seat. Funny thing though, I believe the price increased.

aquaregia:

You're right: I took the numbers from the G250 Vintage, and that's what you're most likely to get if you buy them new. Like awap said, it's the same poppet through the years, with some minor variations.

The barrel seconds from SP are very easy to service, and the difference between balanced or no-balanced is not big, so if I were you and if the first is good, I'd fix up the seconds (soaking, cleaning, re-o-ring'ing, re-seat'ing, tweaking) and dive happily ever after until the time comes when you can lay your hands on some poppets.

Last edited:
aquaregia:

You're right: I took the numbers from the G250 Vintage, and that's what you're most likely to get if you buy them new. Like awap said, it's the same poppet through the years, with some minor variations.

The barrel seconds from SP are very easy to service, and the difference between balanced or no-balanced is not big, so if I were you and if the first is good, I'd fix up the seconds (soaking, cleaning, re-o-ring'ing, re-seat'ing, tweaking) and dive happily ever after until the time comes when you can lay your hands on some poppets.

One problem is that the unbalanced poppet in the 109 has also gone through some design changes. Your '97 schematic should show a duro poppet which takes a replacable seat but most 109s I have acquired had a predecessor to the duro poppet that had an integrated, non-replaceable seat. So, you may have to find a duro poppet to put you 109 back in shape.

Ouch!

awap is right, as usual. I just dug up a schematic that shows a #109-69 poppet with an integral seat. I assume these guys are even harder to get than the full G250 poppet assembly.

I'd suggest you open it up and see what gives. Remember, be gentle, soak a lot; brass breaks easily, especially when up against steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom