Old set of regs, any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aelred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was given a 1st and 2nd regs Aqualung Calypso IV, probably 25+ years old. And also the link pipe for twin bottles.
See pictures.
Are they worth anything?

Attachments

• IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 75
It's looks clean from the pix. I have a 4 J and have tweaked it to breath quite well. It has a balanced 1st (the current version is not) and it's the same second as a Conshelf. So is it worth anything? Not much according to all I have followed on EBay. I bought my very clean 4J for $25 and it wasn't a biding war. So check it out, I'm sure it will work and if you replace the LP seat and the 5 (I think) O rings in the 1st you will have a nice vintage reg with Bling.

Worth as in money, not much, worth as in worth using, definitely.

Reading th above comments, i would like to service them, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a service kit and instructions for servicing.

Vintage Double Hose • Index page Look here in the single hose section. The second stage is pretty much generic for most US Divers/Aqualung 2nds to the present. The first stage is mostly about replacing O rings.

Reading th above comments, i would like to service them, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a service kit and instructions for servicing.

There have been discussions in the not-too-distant past about servicing the old US Divers regs. I downloaded the manual from the above link and got my old Calypsos working like new. The seat in the first stage can be reversed if it's too worn to seat properly and new seats can be made from rubber punched from a sheet. I'm not sure which one but supposedly a current USD diaphram will fit. Both of my first stages (Calypso J and Calypso) were leaking slightly and simply taking them apart, cleaning and lubing and putting them back together did the trick. I have not tweaked them but mine do not breathe anywhere near as well as my modern (1985 Sherwood Magnum) regulators. I used the Calypsos for many years and they were fine until swimming against a current when a little more air delivery would be nice :wink: Mine are not IV's so maybe they improved them. I tried attaching the second stage to another first stage with higher psi and didn't really notice much improvement so to me it seems like the limitations are, at least in part, in the second stage. I bought both of mine used in the 70's and they were dirt cheap then and I don't think they've appreciated much with time :wink: Are they durable and reliable? Definitely. I'm fairly certain that mine have all of the original seats, O-rings, and diaphrams. Perhaps DD will share some tweak tips with us :D

Back
Top Bottom