Old Threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I asked Lynn (TS&M) years ago about threads (and of course those that are of interest to you) popping up on ScubaBoard. Man, It's been fun and informative since I joined in 2007. But--as I asked -- what about the same topics always popping up? Absolutely, I favour SB over ALL the scuba forums I used to participate in.
An instructor friend in NY said it was "entertainment".
Am I right? Is it just a way to take up time? Are there other questions that I may be interested in? This has occasionally happened. I quit all the "other" forums years ago, because of lack of threads & posts. What think you? Should we continue to post the usual stuff that concerns ourselves, or just drop out. I won't do that, as TV has evolved into such a mess that the internet seems at times better.
I think you level off at a particular where you are--for example, tech. questions not relevant for me. DM questions still of interest. Of course, the "area" forums are great, and I have used them. I'll continue to post until my time is really up, but I just wonder what others think of redundancy on the best (and only really good) Scuba forum.

Last edited:
I often Google subjects I am interested, especially marine life and it seems as if a thread on Scubaboard containing my query always comes up. It's too bad much of the earlier pages were discarded during the "upgrades" but there is still a lot of information here.

I often Google subjects I am interested, especially marine life and it seems as if a thread on Scubaboard containing my query always comes up. It's too bad much of the earlier pages were discarded during the "upgrades" but there is still a lot of information here.
Yes, lots of stuff seemed to get lost. But your rare (well, nor "rare") posts on SB confirms my idea that there is just so much for each member to be interested and comment on. Have to say I can't recall a time when I've disagreed with you.

Often people comment on a thread, "Well you could have searched that topic, because it has already been covered on SCUBABOARD", but I wonder if topics need to be periodically revisited as new information and technology and even cultural changes bring new ways of doing things.

Often people comment on a thread, "Well you could have searched that topic, because it has already been covered on SCUBABOARD", but I wonder if topics need to be periodically revisited as new information and technology and even cultural changes bring new ways of doing things.

This doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to (or maybe I'm numb to it). I never liked the it's-been-covered-go-search response. For things like travel it's often fine, though many people will simply paste links, which is more helpful because searches sometimes pull up a lot of garbage, including dated stuff. For just about everything else, I think things SHOULD be revisited/rediscussed. It's not just that thinking evolves, but the community changes and different views can be heard. Plus, this site for me is very educational and a Socratic style dialog is always better than just reading the textbook. So keep the split fin, bp/w and all those other discussions going - over and over and over. If after a hundred or so times I don't feel like participating any more, I simply won't open the next one. I'm not going to bother opening it simply for the sake of telling someone to go use the search function. Plus, this is supposed to be social media, not scubapedia, so let's be social.

Sadly I've seen other hobby boards dry up as there weren't any new discussions as folks gave up asking questions. On scubaboard there always seems to be new experience, ideas and information being shared even with "old" rehashed questions. Besides, many of the old threads can be challenging to find an answer as the op's question might not be the same as yours or you are just new to the topic and don't know the right question to ask.

Having participated on forums for various hobbies (scuba, traditional and modern archery, muzzle-loading, camping, etc.), one must keep in mind that a significant amount of traffic is folks new to the activity. It is a constant re-hash of topics. Sometimes folks who are new may not know the proper terminology or slang to use a search effectively, so a question gets asked again, and again, and again. If you don't like that, then don't participate.

What gets "interesting" is when an old thread gets bumped by someone who seems to want to show their "prowess", and is just saying again what was already discussed in the thread. It is apparent that they didn't read the thread. A little "teasing" isn't a bad thing in response.

It's no different that dinner with my aging parents. The things my father says.......

I know what you mean about the same topics cropping up but, like all hobbies, people move in and move out of them. What seems old hat to one might actually make a big splash to another. It is always worthwhile hearing from other people as to their viewpoints on a subject as I (and I am quite sure a number of others have as well) have had a few light bulb moments where I though "I would never have thought of that but by heck it works".

Technology marches on so new answers might be found to old problems. Then again some of the new answers are problems in themselves (when they become over complicated etc) so it is worth people asking questions.

I'll continue to post until my time is really up,
I love you, man!

It's too bad much of the earlier pages were discarded during the "upgrades"
Negative Ghost Rider: they still exist in the "archives" and come up with Google.

Such was the genesis of the MOF threads and the subsequent genesis of the Green Forums where there are no stupid questions. The best part about ScubaBoard are the passionate users. However, sometimes our biggest problem are our passionate users. :D It's been a real challenge to keep our little place fun and fight free while remaining relevant. I think the mods do an awesome job on this.

I love you, man!

Negative Ghost Rider: they still exist in the "archives" and come up with Google.

Such was the genesis of the MOF threads and the subsequent genesis of the Green Forums where there are no stupid questions. The best part about ScubaBoard are the passionate users. However, sometimes our biggest problem are our passionate users. :D It's been a real challenge to keep our little place fun and fight free while remaining relevant. I think the mods do an awesome job on this.
They do. I think with a hobby like ours people do get passionate about it and occasionally forget that there is more than one way to do things and that another way might suit someone better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom