Old Threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I asked Lynn (TS&M) years ago about threads (and of course those that are of interest to you) popping up on ScubaBoard. Man, It's been fun and informative since I joined in 2007. But--as I asked -- what about the same topics always popping up? .

One example would be the "bag drag" from Cancun to Cozumel that had three separate threads in a month or two. Since I've already made my conclusions and gotten recent information I don't ask questions again or make a comment. Reading the most recent thread I got the impression that the OP never received the best information which they would have gotten if they'd read the previous thread on the same subject. It would be cool if somehow a notice would "automatically" pop up directing people to the other threads rather than a member going off and finding the thread and posting a link. If you click on a listing on eBay etc. down at the bottom "similar items" are listed so it would seem that the technology already exists.

There used to be links to similar threads at the bottom of the page. If you were discussing split fins you could see several other thread titles below if you wanted to check out before asking the same old questions. Scubaboard has gone through a few changes since I first lurked here. Most of them have been for the better but not all.

The ole "forum paradox" at it's best. What I have always loved the most was the same people that would complain that a newb needs to "search" would also complain when said newb searches and finds an old but relevant thread and they post in it and the "necro" thread is born. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Its funny, I think a lot of message boards have disappeared bc either Twitter or facebook have taken their place.

For example, I am a boxing fan and used to frequent a couple forums with tons of discussion, but most boxing forums disappeared several years ago as Twitter took their place.

Scuba discussions however, I don't think can take place within 140 characters. Scuba, I believe, lends itself to a forum with open discussion.

Plus, we all just ENJOY discussing scuba. For everyone who says " do a search" there are probably two others who don't mind answering the same question again, as they get a chance to discuss their scuba experiences.

Old information can be dangerous too. Laws change, equipment gets recalled, once safe places become dangerous, new cultural understanding requires new forums, ( like a men's forum for example, which according to the MODs would be very dangerous), and once cheap destinations can suddenly have a ton of un-budgeted fees. Granted I am a Total Noob, but no one can be a pro in every area.

Scuba is a hobby. Different people progress to different levels, so their specific (or range) of interests change over time. Technology also makes the answer to the same question different as time goes on.

An example: dive lights have radically changed in the last 5(ish?) years. We dumped our huge 8 Dcell RCD's for a teeny tiny little hog morph. Way smaller and lighter, way more light.

So lots of reasons to have yet another discussion about "the same" topic.

Sometimes it is useful to restart an old conversation because we now have more knowledge that is being shared. When I first started diving, servicing your own equipment was a huge non-no. It was all black magic, secret spells & handshakes and "you'll die" type of responses if you ever asked a question about how a regulator really worked. Now there are books available and lots of people that service their own gear.

For everyone who says " do a search" there are probably two others who don't mind answering the same question again, as they get a chance to discuss their scuba experiences.

Not only that, but a divers views changes and mature over time, an answer now may not be the same as one given years ago, or necessarily given in the same "tone".

Bob

Thanks for your views. I admit being a "dinosaur" since being certified in 2005 and some things have definitely changed. Can you believe it-- a "dinosaur" in 2005..... 2005 WAS the future.

I admit being a "dinosaur" since being certified in 2005

Now that's funny.

I certified in '80 and have been diving since SCUBA was an acronym ('62) and there are those on the board that have been diving longer. Things have changed a bit since then.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom