Olympus 5050- $429

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken,
As long as I'm onto tips, here's another. Set up the camera in "Macro" mode. It will focus close as well as out to infinity. It's one less thing to think about. So when you set up your "My Modes" make sure its in "Macro".

Are you planning on using the camera without a strobe?
TedJ

Hey Ted,

Nope, no strobe for now, though I looked at them early last year.

My reasons are: the camera performs so well with only the internal,

it would be something else to learn, and of course price.

They are soo expensive, the first two reasons look better and better. :eyebrow:

Perhaps, after I understand the manual settings I may start looking again.

Thank you for the macro tip. My camera should arrive next week, and I will definately be trying to make manual mode second nature.

Thanks again

Ken

Let me add my name to the people who have just ordered the Oly C5050Z. Got it for $488 from Priceler. Should be here next Wednesday. This will give me plenty of time to practice with it before next classes. I will probably get the UWH next month and a strobe down the line also.

Thanks for all of the help from everyone (especially Dee and TedJ). Now the fun really begins as I get used to all of the new features and capabilities. I am sure that I will be looking here for more advice down the road.

Thanks again all.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

And I totally appreciate it! :)

Thanks,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

Now if newegg would get housing back in we would be all set. I will probably be spending more time on line now as I can not have this nice a camera and not become an expert shooting with it.

TedJ do I need to get new software for manipulating my pictures with. I have been getting myself familiar with the Digital Diver site, but have not worked up the nerve to post yet. There is plenty to research on the site first.

Ken I am glad to see you were able to get the 5050, and not have to pay to much more for it.

Mitten Diver

Mitten Diver:
TedJ do I need to get new software for manipulating my pictures with.

If you are starting fresh I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. It is currently being sold as a package with Adobe Photo Album at Costco for about $99. You can also get it by itself. Briefly, Elements does a great deal of what its big brother Adobe Photoshop (about $600) does and more than enough stuff to keep you busy for a couple years. Album is a photo organizing package.

Do a search here or at DDN, there are lots of discussions about Elements.

TedJ

Ditto. PS Elements is a great program. There are a few things in the full Photoshop program I wish it had but nothing worth and additional $500!

TedJ:
If you are starting fresh I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. It is currently being sold as a package with Adobe Photo Album at Costco for about $99.

This week on sale at Comp USA, for 59.99 (with instant and mail in rebates)!
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom