Olympus XZ-1 / PT-050 wide-angle lens tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the link that I provided, Page 30 of the manual says there is such a thing as a PFC-050. It is hard to fathom that Olympus does not plan to make this thing available in North America. Doing a quick Google Search, here is a link to a page in the Olympus Japan website that has an image of it: Olympus PFC-050 Flash Window Cover

I don't see how that would mount on the housing unless it just slips on over the adapter where you plug in the fo cable.

Here is a rough translation from Japanese to English:
Google Translate
And for laughs only, here is another attempt by Babelfish:
Translation result for https://shop.olympus-imaging.jp/html/category/001/001/58/category58_0.html

I wonder what the translation programs would do with "Ching Chong, Ling Long, Ting Tong". But I digress.

Olympus has not been totally rational in what they release to North America, such as the type II lens (I had to buy an E-PL2 kit to get one, then sell the body, what a nuisance).

My suggestion is until this is generally available, just get some black velcro and cut to shape. That will hold a socket for a Fiber Optic Cable too. Just saying....

Here is a rough translation from Japanese to English:
Google Translate
And for laughs only, here is another attempt by Babelfish:
Translation result for https://shop.olympus-imaging.jp/html/category/001/001/58/category58_0.html

I wonder what the translation programs would do with "Ching Chong, Ling Long, Ting Tong". But I digress.

Olympus has not been totally rational in what they release to North America, such as the type II lens (I had to buy an E-PL2 kit to get one, then sell the body, what a nuisance).

My suggestion is until this is generally available, just get some black velcro and cut to shape. That will hold a socket for a Fiber Optic Cable too. Just saying....

That's what I did about ten minutes ago. I just cut a hole in a piece of velcro and put it over the fiber optic port on the housing and it works just fine.

Here are a few more pics taken with the XZ1 last night at Three Tree North on the Puget Sound.
My Oly wide angle lens should be here on Tuesday and I will post pics on Thursday night.

UPS just dropped off this beautiful piece of glass!

Attachments

• P3290196.JPG
    P3290196.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 294
  • P3290197.JPG
    P3290197.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I got to try out my new Oly WAL this evening for the first time.
This is my first attempt at wide angle after years of shooting macro.

Attachments

• P3300205.jpg
    P3300205.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 285
  • P3300234.jpg
    P3300234.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 267
  • P3300211.jpg
    P3300211.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 282
  • P3300215.jpg
    P3300215.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 273
Thanks Ron! Minor softness in the corners, but look good in general. What settings did you use?

All of these were shot at ISO 100 with auto white balance. Shutter was 160 @ f5.6 with dual YS01's set at ttl.

Thanks for posting the images...very nice (love the octo)...Corner softness can be hard to tell with a wide angle, as the edges tend to be a different distance than the center. Most people think in terms of a flat field being equal distance, but it is actual a circle... not much of an issue with a standard lens, but in wide angle it can be a major issue.

Will order a couple for our shop tomorrow... I wonder how that lens works with other camera's?

Thanks for posting the images...very nice (love the octo)...Corner softness can be hard to tell with a wide angle, as the edges tend to be a different distance than the center. Most people think in terms of a flat field being equal distance, but it is actual a circle... not much of an issue with a standard lens, but in wide angle it can be a major issue.

Will order a couple for our shop tomorrow... I wonder how that lens works with other camera's?

I agree. I think that some of the "softness" is DOF issues.
Here are a few more that I shot last night.

Attachments

• P3310260.jpg
    P3310260.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 347
  • P3310273.jpg
    P3310273.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 227
  • P3310299.jpg
    P3310299.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 215
  • P3310288.jpg
    P3310288.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 217
I agree. I think that some of the "softness" is DOF issues.
Here are a few more that I shot last night.

Ok, now you are showing off... really nice work... I would be proud to have a print of that anemone..wonderful commercial quality image. The squid is very nice also.

You are taking to that lens really fast....

Note: There are internet images that look good on a monitor... there are dozens of stock image methods (the same image done over and over again...)..that anemone is none of those and is a very interesting use of a wide angle...and lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom