Olympus XZ-1 Underwater Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyndon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Someones gotta post this...so let it be me :dork2:

What settings are youll using it on for Macro & Wide Angle? What is the max shutter speed / strobe sync possible?

Anyone tried the built in scene modes? How do they hold up?

What settings are youll using it on for Macro & Wide Angle? What is the max shutter speed / strobe sync possible?

Will not have ours for another 10 days or so, but I do know the answer to the maximum flash sync.. it is the the maximum shutter speed - 1/2000. And their strobes will sync up to that speed (I am using Oly strobes with my LX-5 which goes to 1/4000.)

Don't use any scene modes with any camera.

Would not see any reason that this camera has something special that would require special setting... one hopes that one picks the lowest possible iso... say 100. a shutter speed that lets in the amount of light you want and freezes motion as you want, and an f stop that gives you the dof you want.

Blue Water...nice of you to put general directions on your site.

A couple of comments on those directions (which in general are reasonable).

1. I stopped doing manual exposure with a point and shoot several years ago. They have gotten so good with flash TTL, that I typically go dozens of dives without a bad exposure. (assuming the system is setup correctly). With the listed camera's, using manual requires manual strobe control, so one has to use some other setting, either presetup or use shutter priority (I cannot think of a single time where DOF was an issue with these tiny lens.. but it could happen I guess)

Note: Given the really fast lens on this camera, the above may not be a good suggestion, as it would depend on what it defaults to. With the G series, it is a non issue... even the S does not pick wide open.. If it went wide open, would go the manual amount unless one of the theme setups corrected that (those things I never use)

2. Be careful using the lowest flash setting in bright conditions, several of my flashes will not trigger (depending on the housing and just how bright)...

3. Most point and shoot's have greater magnification, the wider the lens setting, but you loose working distance. And lighting an object pressed against the glass is, well really difficult.. so your zoom out is a great suggestion. But be careful...some are not uniform. The LX-5, for example is at it's worse when zoomed out in the middle of the range...all the way is actually better, and wide angle is the best (very odd actually and was surprised by that. I don't know what the Oly is, but one should check (the S and G series are standard).

4. Focus setting... well actually the whole issue of picking the right setup for underwater is one of the most common problem I see with these cameras. If you leave the default setting in place, and you want to take a fish picture with something behind it, the stuff behind will be in focus. And to make things worse, contrast detection systems don't work on a lot of stuff. I strongly suggest that people use spot focus, and set the spot size to what they like taking pictures of... as well as learn to prefocus the camera on something the same distance to get infocus images of those hard to focus things...like dart fish, jellies, etc, etc.

I ordered my XZ-1/PT-50 yesterday. It has not shown up yet.

Bruce

I got my camera and still waiting for the housing.

The colour and contrast of the pics look a lot better on the LCD than on my VAIO. hmmm.

There is very little shutter lag on the camera in typical room settings even at 100 ISO. Very impressive.

I was able to buy the camera on sale here last week: $499. Housing and new strobe, focus light and arms arrived yesterday. It's assembled and now I just need to try it out to make sure all is working. Must get those batteries charged!

i use M setting with 1/160 and F9 to F11. my Inon Z240 is set at Auto and it worked fine.

i have tried the super macro mode by leaving the focus light of the Z240 on and it gave pretty good colours. on a night dive it was great!

Hi I am really new to underwater photography and would like to learn how I should set up my camera and strobe.

I own a Xz-1 with pt-050 housing and sea & sea ys-110 alpha connecting with fiber cord.

1. Macro photography - What setting should I have the XZ-1 set on? ie white balance, ISO, flash on camera and also setting on strobe?

2. Wide angle photography - What setting should I have the XZ-1 set on? ie white balance, ISO, flash on camera and also setting on strobe?

3. There's a TTL function on my strobe, should I use that? Or should I be using the manual 2 setting?

Really excited to be a member of the board and looking forward to learn and share from the people on this board.

Stephen:cool2:

i use M setting with 1/160 and F9 to F11. my Inon Z240 is set at Auto and it worked fine.

i have tried the super macro mode by leaving the focus light of the Z240 on and it gave pretty good colours. on a night dive it was great!

My XZ-1 only goes up to F8.

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom