OM-D Rig, Its HEEEEEEERRRRREEEEEE (almost)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Gary, Thanks for posting. Do you have any wide examples with the 7-14? I keep hearing this lens is really soft once placed in the dome port.

No wide angle yet. Since my most recent macro dive Hurricane Sandy and a cold front have had the waters very, very rough. While it should be calm by this weekend I don't think the visibility will be good enough, certainly not for wide angle. Will just have to wait and see . . .

My OM-D kit just arrived on Friday and spent the afternoon at Reef learning how put it all together. Here it is:

Camera: OM-D
Wide Angle: Panasonic 7-14mm
Macro: Olympus 60mm
General: Olympus 12-50mm zoom

Housing: Nauticam
Wide Port: Nauticam 6"
General Port: 12-50 with zoom gear and macro function lever (this did NOT arrive, bummer, long wait list for it but should come in this week).
Macro Port: 12-50 which fits the 60mm macro.

Nauticam flextray with two handles.

BIG TREAT: Nauticam 45 degree magnified rotating viewfinder.

I'm curious why you chose the 12-50 over 14-42...The port is what, $800? Yes, I know it has a macro mode, but I just can't see it, unless that was to be your only lens and port... which is clearly not your situation. Since I'm looking at something similar i'm wondering what your thinking is.

The 14-42mm is a good "kit" lens; the 12-50mm is much better glass, wider, longer, and with very good macro capability. Yes, the Nauticam port is expen$ive, but being abile to shoot everything but extreme WA on the same dive is worth the money. I frequently dive with no idea of what I'm going to see and photograph - the 12-50 will be my lens of choice. If I'm shooting nudibranchs, I'll use the 60mm macro in the same lens port.

Jlyle's post basically sums up my reasoning as well.

Where I dive, I have a dedicated macro heaven (Blue Heron Bridge), and wide-angle scenic shooting on the reefs of the Keys and the Bahamas. For these, the 60 macro and 7-14 wide are the top choice. However, there are reefs and wrecks in Palm Beach County where, in the space of an hour, I can encounter scenic shots such as wrecks, coral and sponges, large fish such as goliath grouper, turtles and sharks (often on the same dive), tropicals such as angelfish for portraits, and macro stuff such as jawfish, cowries, and tiny anemone shrimp. For these dives, the 12-50 is just way ahead of anything else. It is wide enough for the big fish and some scenics, excellent for fish portraits, and the macro is in a class by itself for an all around zoom. Also has power zoom for nice video. It is a way better choice than the 14-42 (which just cannot compare for macro or video).

As for cost, remember that a port for the 14-42 would run about $400 and maybe $150 for the zoom gear, plus a mandatory diopter (at least $250 for a decent one) for macro (not necessary with 12-50). The cost comes out the same and 12-50 setup has far greater versatility, and it does "double duty" as a port for the 60mm macro, so, only two ports for the whole system.

OOPs, Bull Shark, just saw you are in Ft. Lauderdale. So am I!! maybe we can get together for a dive. I am still waiting for Reef to get my 12-50 port in. They loaned me a port for my 45mm macro in the interim, but I don't have anything for "general" use. Apparently Nauty is very slow in cranking the 12-50s out. I am very much looking forward to it, but there are still about three people ahead of me on the list.

If you have the Nauticam port for the 12-50, yes, you can do macro.

What I meant was with that port, you can switch between macro and WA easily while still underwater or is this something that would need to be decided on before the dive?

The Nauty gear permanently holds down the lens' macro button that unless prssed locks out the macro function. Therefore, the knob on the port can switch the lens back and forth between regular power zoom and macro mode instantly, throughout the dive.

Macro mode locks zoom at 43mm, which is a very good focal length and gives decent working distance. You cannot focus to infinity in macro mode but you have a good range of focus from close-up macro to a little farther back for fish close-ups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom