OMS IQ Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of just finishing my OW check out dives. I use a Koplin BP and Halcyon harness and wings.

We are getting my wife into scuba soon, but she has opted to go with more of a 'harness' than just the webbing harness like my Halcyon. She likes the OMS IQ and the Dive Rite Transpac II harnesses better.

My questions, are, how do these stack up?

Can the IQ and TP use a BP in it for added weight and rigidity?

Are both good?

What does the TransPac II use for its back support?

And can a Halcyon STA with 11" bolt pattern be used on either above rig?

Also, I'd like to know what owners have to say about pro's and con's of each....

Thanks,

1. The Transpac and IQ harness are very equivalent to one another. I chose the IQ harness for myself due to a slightly better fit and some of the better construction details. As to which out performs the other, that's a personal choice, and a very debated topic.

2. Yes. I have the OMS SS BP inside of mine.

3. Yes. See #1

4. Not sure what you mean by back support...are you talking about the back plate?

5. Yes. Both systems use the 11-inch standard for the STA and doubles mounting

6. The only con I have about the IQ-pack system is that the weight pockets are a bit difficult to access as regular carrying pockets. They do great on holding the weights, but I stow my little stuff elsewhere on my person than in these pockets. Other than that, I love it.

"4. Not sure what you mean by back support...are you talking about the back plate?"

Yes, I mean, OMS says I can slip a backplate in between the back pad and back of it. Does the TransPac II do this as well?

DO both brands accomidate a backplate into the harness?

I thought the TransPac II was like a 'soft pack' and did not accept a BP too.

DIve Rite's web site isn't very clear on this..

Scuba 446,

You are right, the TransPac is a soft harness. Lamar's view on this is that BP's can be uncomfortable and can get you caught into restrictions when using in the sidemount config (also restrict your movement to reach back to manifold).

The DIR guys dismiss TransPac's due to the potential failure points in the harness (realistic or not!?) and the added padding that causes more drag (this can be removed - I think!).

IMO the only real disadvantage with a TransPac is the weight of a BP - just remember that in some circumstances this may be too much and result in you having to use a different (aluminium) BP i.e. tropics, multiple stages etc.

Hope this helps - Dave.

OK,
I want to be able to present to my wife ALL of her choices, good and bad...

Has anyone HAD any potential problems with the OMS IQ harness? Buckle failures?

Would she be better off in using a Halcyon harness like mine and just adding Halcyon's soft back pack to it, if she feels that that is going to be a issue for her?

I personally, don't find MY BP uncomfortable at all, especially with the 7mm wetsuit on..however, thats me...

Like I said thought, last week, sitting on the baot for 20+ mins with my rig on, did make my shoulder straps begin to cut into me somewhat...But I don't think that scenario is the norm - sitting on the boat for so long waiting...or IS it?

And some other friends have had theirs for more than a year. We are all frequent divers and some of them are hard core tekkies (not me....yet :) ). So far no one that I am aware of has reported any failure of the gear. All of the different bits that some consider potential problem areas are doing just fine.

And you must remember that as far as the DIR purists go, they are promoting what works the best for them in THEIR situation. You and your wife are most likely in a different situation and should adopt whats best for you. (and if other readers want to begin yet another hash out of DIR diving, let's start another thread)

On using the SS BP, I have that and use it when diving the relatively warm waters here in Texas. When in a 3mil shorty, I require 8 pounds, and this BP contributes 6 in a very comfortable manner.

OK,
Thanks for the imput Texas Mike.....

And can we use the Halcyon STA with the IQ?

IS the IQ buckle steel or plastic? It appears to be black in their pictures..

I have heard the arguments about buckles being steel or plastic, or even being there. The more rescue training I participate in, the more I like QRs, and have yet to see one break. Of course they can break, but very rarely do, and if I have to get you out of your gear Chester, I will be glad they are there. Had a cave diver show me how "quick" she could get a victim out of a bp/harness. Give me the QRs! far simpler, and I feel so much more in control. BTW, I make sure any classes I am involved in INCLUDE getting a victim out of a Hogarthian rig. They are not that common, but they are out there.

NetDoc: Sea-Snips should work pretty good for getting someone out of a harness. :)

If I have to rescue someone and then they complain that I cut their harness, I'll buy them another piece of harness. But I may think twice before I dive with them again.

Jarhead

Although the "pop", "pop" of the QRs would still be simpler and far quicker than finding your shears in a time of stress and panic. I WILL give that hint out during class though! That would simplify the removal of a harness considerably! The cave diver popped the belt, grabbed the top of the wetsuit, and "kicked" the harness down the body. Of course, things got snagged and she had to re-position things and then kick three times to get it all cleared. She said it "usually" takes one kick... but under stress and near panic I can see that becoming a real problem. I like your shears concept best.

Back
Top Bottom