One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't That the same brand Rob Stewart was using when he died?

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's a popular rebreather. More people die in Fords than in Ferraris.

That having been said, each rebreather has it's pros and cons, which is why you need unit-specific certification. The rEvo isn't my choice, but there are certainly a lot of very experienced and talented divers using them...

They recovered the husband.

Yes, perhaps now we'll be able to get some sort of answers from his gear. And then again, maybe not.

Is this something specific with the rEvo or rebreathers as a whole? I know little about RB.
When the counterlung floods, the unit gets heavy enough to sink. Double steels are also negative. If the wing is not full, it may not be able to float the full rebreather.
Other rebreather won't?
My point was that if ....say... the boat captain were trying to rescue the diver wearing a rebreather, and lets just say he cut away the rebreather to save himself 50 or more pounds of rescue weight (he isn't much thinking about the post mortem ScubaBoard discussion at that time), the rebreather would sink.

The other thing that often gets forgotten in threads like this is that while CCR definitely adds risks that you have to be compulsive about managing, it also reduces risks for some types of dives. In any sort of physical overhead environment where navigation errors, siltouts, entrapment or entanglements are a problem, giving you the luxury of time can be a crucial advantage.

All true but those things can also be avoided by the diver. Most of those situations are a result of diver error, inattention, or inexperience.

I'm not sure some of these CCR accidents are avoidable by the diver. IMO the trade off of suddenly blacking out at 200+FSW doesn't seem equitable.

You're an engineer, are you not? OCD enough for rebreather, I'd suspect. No rebreather for me. Too expensive and I'm not OCD enough. I just throw my gear in my car and dry it off when I get home. Rinsing gear? That's only it's got gravel from the quarry on it. Don't dive salt, so that's not a concern. I much prefer low maintenance. A rebreather is just too danged high maintenance for me. The Great Lakes wrecks I love don't worry about my bubbles.
My sincere advice is that if that is the type of diver you are (and it's 100% ok to be) is that a rebreather of any type is not for you.

All true but those things can also be avoided by the diver. Most of those situations are a result of diver error, inattention, or inexperience.

I'm not sure some of these CCR accidents are avoidable by the diver. IMO the trade off of suddenly blacking out at 200+FSW doesn't seem equitable.

I’m not trying to be snarky, and I am humbled by diving a CCR. I don’t take anything for granted, and I am always trying to learn and to improve the safety of my protocols.

But since you seem to be implying that CCR accidents involve failures that are not caused by pilot error, I was wondering what you were referring to? I mean, I’m sure that there are some truly unavoidable accidents, but most of what I read about are failures of process, not of gear. Of course you can have gear failures, that’s why we carry bailout. But a big part of training is monitoring for those...

I’m just saying that like most choices, you are balancing risks and benefits...

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's a popular rebreather. More people die in Fords than in Ferraris.

That having been said, each rebreather has it's pros and cons, which is why you need unit-specific certification. The rEvo isn't my choice, but there are certainly a lot of very experienced and talented divers using them...
Is it just me, but it sure seems there are a lot of fatalities for no more people that use rebreathers? I know they are used in a riskier environment but I know about two fatalities basically on the surface using them.

The surface is a lousy place to be. Its hard to see your hud in daylight or wrist computer. Wave action tugs on your loop hoses. You can loose focus with whats going on with other divers and the whole process of getting back on the boat and they breathe like crap on the surface to top it all off. If you inflate you bc fully, dunk your head often to check you po2, and stay away from the melee of other divers its fine. I still am checking my po2 climbing the ladder

Back
Top Bottom