Online CPR ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude, I'm not trying to flame. And you could run triple-manifolded spare airs w/ an online certification from toys-r-us for all I care, I was just trying to open your eyes to some of the realities of being a dive professional

1) As a dive con you are a dive professional, which means are may also be held liable as a professional. If you have to administer CPR and the patient dies, think of what a liability lawyer could do to your credibility if he finds out you learned CPR on-line. Your liability insurance provider may have a POV on this as well.

gross negligence would more than likely be needed for any type of a lawsuit. generally speaking people dont sue others based on the success of CPR unless something was clearly done incorrect resulting in the death.

cpr isnt very successful in the real world unfortunately. but if we save one out of ten thats better then none IMO. but what do i know...im just a dumb fireman:shakehead:

brett

gross negligence would more than likely be needed for any type of a lawsuit. generally speaking people dont sue others based on the success of CPR unless something was clearly done incorrect resulting in the death.

cpr isnt very successful in the real world unfortunately. but if we save one out of ten thats better then none IMO. but what do i know...im just a dumb fireman:shakehead:

brett

I didn't way you will be more successful at CPR with a good course, I said you are opening the door to question your professional credibility by NOT taking a good course. I don't know how many lawyers you know, but this is an "in" that many wouldn't miss. If gross negligence was really a prerequisite for lawsuits, we would live in a much better world.

... If you have to administer CPR and the patient dies...
If you're administering CPR it is because the patient is already dead. In the real world (not hollywoood) the chances of getting someone back with CPR are mighty slim.
Rick

I realize that. I didn't claim otherwise, here or in Hollywood. I didn't say that you have a better chance of saving someone, I'm saying you are opening the door for a liability suit if you take shortcuts with your CPR cert. And more importantly, these are the kind of issues you are signing up for when you choose to become a dive professional.

So how do you all feel about someone who has taken numerous hands-on classes in the past but needs a new card or refresher? Would an online class be adquate? This is a serious question, not a troll, not trying to stir trouble.

So how do you all feel about someone who has taken numerous hands-on classes in the past but needs a new card or refresher? Would an online class be adquate? This is a serious question, not a troll, not trying to stir trouble.

I don't believe that credible organizations (such as the Red Cross) provide for online only certifications. They require a hands on skill session.

As for any online only certification, I would say it wouldn't be worth the paper it's not printed on.

Zieg: that was the point of my original question and describes my situation. It's a valid question and should not be flamed. In any case, I read the writing on the wall and I'm just about done with the Red Cross online blended certification. The online portion was a snap and saved me hours from that mind-numbing class. I'm going to go do the hands-on portion later today. It'll take 3-4 hours max, and I'm done. I've already passed the written test. It's a real Red Cross certification, but I was able to self-study most of it. Problem solved, and worth the $70 and time saved.

On the related posts, the only time I've been involved in a real-life CPR situation, the woman died. (And this was in a hospital setting, doesn't get better than that.) Too bad it isn't like on TV, where Pamela Anderson lip locks you, pumps a few times, you cough up some water and then go for a mochachino.

Too bad it isn't like on TV, where Pamela Anderson lip locks you, pumps a few times, you cough up some water and then go for a mochachino.

I'm afraid if Pamela Anderson lip locked and revived me I might die of various infections in short order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom