Online Nitrox and SDA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are confusing two differnent sites.

Posted via Mobile Device

With the advent of the internet, many players want to dabble in all sort of c-cards. You can get certified in basic life support through many online places, get an MBA, BS, BA, who knows what online.

I honestly think, PADI and SSI would love to get into this activity, if it wasn't for the shops screaming for loss of revenue.

Nitrox is a quick buck for the local dive shops.... and the only reason why it hasn't gone online is for the loyalty to the local dive shops.

It boils down to, who do the certifying agencies serve? The consumer or the instructors?

If you know what's going on you'll see that the shops do not lose any revenue. PADI still wants the shos to collect the full fee for any online course. All you are doing on line is for convenience only. It states right in the quarterly training bulletin that shops should still charge full price. If they wanted to be really fair to the shops they would also reimburse them the cost of course materials not sold since the course was done on line. PADI is not out for the instructor, the student, or the shop. They are out for themselves. Period. Just wish they were publicly traded.

You are confusing two differnent sites.
Or three? That too must fall on the obscure site selling questionable materials online with no real identity and falsified references. When are you going to test the card? I bet you have to do a Nitrox Intro course to do Nx...
With the advent of the internet, many players want to dabble in all sort of c-cards. You can get certified in basic life support through many online places, get an MBA, BS, BA, who knows what online.

I honestly think, PADI and SSI would love to get into this activity, if it wasn't for the shops screaming for loss of revenue.

Nitrox is a quick buck for the local dive shops.... and the only reason why it hasn't gone online is for the loyalty to the local dive shops.

It boils down to, who do the certifying agencies serve? The consumer or the instructors?
JimLap is right (I'll omit quoting his immediately above post) in that Padi exists to serve Padi. The get pressure from the shops, charters, customers*, insurance companies, lawyers, governments entities, etc - and turn a nice profit still. At the end of every projection, Padi will do what serves Padi - and the others will imitate and/or compete.

* Let me tell you about my Rescue-Enhanced Air card. I already had the EA/Nx card from when Padi required check-out dives :silly: and have wasted money on a waterproof Nx card for my dive bag just in case, so when I took Rescue - I wanted the combo card. I phoned 1-800-Pay-Padi during Calf business hours to make sure my Rescue card would be the combo, but they said Nope! They said I had to get the standard card, then pay another $30-35 for the combo card in addition. We argued, I insisted on supervisors as far as it was going to take, and I timed them out: The second agent I spoke with gave it to save her time and told me to have my shop send the papers to her attention so I could have it my way. Done, for me and my home bud. I also drive thru Burger King, not MacDonalds. :cool:

I would feel better if we kept this tread only to bash SDA and not PADI.

I haven't received the card yet but hopefully will before I leave to puerto rico. I have a funny feeling I will have no problem getting a fill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Another suspect is this one: Online SCUBA Gear

I am not sure if onlinescuba.com sell their own version, or if it is an SDA product?

Apparently the going rate for online nitrox is now $79. In my opinion, I do hope all the shops will accept these cards. I mean, how can you reject this card without also rejecting the EDA (ethiopian diver association). The economic pressure will drive the big 3 to lower their prices, or offer online nitrox classes too?

I agree with Dandydon, it sure would be nice if Padi put all your qualifications in one card. I mean, nitrox, AOW, etc. all on one, so when you buy one, you cover them all. There is absolutely no reason why they can't make one card that has all your certification numbers on it.

I mean, I could do it on my own, but it isn't legitimate. I am sure naui, ssi, and all the others do the same. In the business of making cards and selling them.

This TDI nitrox course online is $110: SDI NITROX On Line Class

This SDI nitrox course online is $149: Scuba Equipment Tank Fills

The only catch with both, is you have to go to the shop to take a test, and do the hands on testing of gas.
I'd say those two requirements are very reasonable, and the prices reasonable enough for agencies that are commonly recognized, as well as do not use deceptive advertising. Thanks :thumb:

those classes are only for those two shops. I am no where near either of those shops. so a online only class would still be a better option for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom