OOA after only a few minutes with a full tank at 17m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, but as mentioned upthread, you are saying that because you know your own skills, and the Caribbean DM doesn't know you from a hole in the wall.

It's fine to tell them, up front, "I appreciate the hard work you do, but I would prefer that you not touch my dive gear, even to check the valve. Thanks!"

But are you implying that DMs should never touch ANYONE'S dive gear because of your specific situation? I don't understand what you are saying?

Well said.

If the crew member were to follow the idea
Yeah... every boat has it's own modus operandi and crusading *your* methodology does not sit well with them.

I usually have a quick conversation with the deck hand about leaving my gear alone, including checking my tanks, and I get left to my own devices. Literally. :D

Yeah... every boat has it's own modus operandi and crusading *your* methodology does not sit well with them.

I usually have a quick conversation with the deck hand about leaving my gear alone, including checking my tanks, and I get left to my own devices. Literally. :D

C...

I can only remember once or twice...both NC Atlantic charters where boat crew checked to see if my cylinder valves were on...no big deal and nothing to get rude over...that's why God invented SPG's...and second stage regulators so we can verify...

I was on a charter once where a diver flew into a rant about...''not touching my kit''...soured the whole trip...not to mention the crew being ''cold'' to everyone on board as a result...

Best way to avoid any well intentioned ''tampering'' is to dive with a rebreather...everybody leaves you alone...including your buddy...

W...

Best way to avoid any well intentioned ''tampering'' is to dive with a rebreather...everybody leaves you alone...including your buddy...

W...

The crew still might ask you your PO2, which I think is a good thing!

The crew still might ask you your PO2, which I think is a good thing!

DM...

Very true...and your right...

I think any crew input encouraging you to think...is a good thing...and if any positive input sets you aflame...you should stay home...

Best...

Warren

I don’t know if my comments rise to the level of crusade and twisting a valve back and forth for 5 second to check position is such a mundane activity that I wouldn’t think of it as my idea or even a methodology. Just a simple suggestion about how it “might” work.

I’ve put my tank on many times and then realized that I forgot to open the valve (usually while still on the boat) and I don’t have a whole lot of heartburn over asking my buddy or crew to open the valve for me- “please.”

If someone asked me not to touch, I would comply with their directive.

Having a routine has helped me with scuba. I pack my boat bag in the same order every time, it's been a very long time since I have left anything. I repack it on the boat in the same way, have not forgotten anything. I turn on my cylinder, all the way, just before I don my BC. I pre-breathe it and watch my SPG soon after it is on. I pre-breathe it again just before jumping. It has been a very long time since I jumped with my gas off. Nobody has ever turned my gas off between the two checks.

I don’t know if my comments rise to the level of crusade
Getting all the dive boats to do things *your way* would indeed, be seen as a crusade and probably would not be well received. Most dive ops are pretty set in the ways they do things. It was a warning, not an accusation.

I don’t know if my comments rise to the level of crusade and twisting a valve back and forth for 5 second to check position is such a mundane activity that I wouldn’t think of it as my idea or even a methodology. Just a simple suggestion about how it “might” work.

I’ve put my tank on many times and then realized that I forgot to open the valve (usually while still on the boat) and I don’t have a whole lot of heartburn over asking my buddy or crew to open the valve for me- “please.”

If someone asked me not to touch, I would comply with their directive.
I have checked the valve when I felt my insta buddy is very nervous or has not dived for a while, but I always asked permission first.

I have checked the valve when I felt my insta buddy is very nervous or has not dived for a while, but I always asked permission first.

No problem, especially if the two of you are doing your buddy checks as well as each of you breathing your own regs whilst looking at the SPG, which you can also do whilst looking at each others as part of the buddy check.

Back
Top Bottom