OOA/Bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.:
I still dont understand why they dont teach gas manegment in OW, I had never heard of anything like, thr rule of thirds or rock bottom before getting on the board.

Some agencies might and some instructors do even if the agency doesn't think to require it but the biggest agency doesn't teach it in OW. The reason is that you'll get it in AOW...ooops no...in the deep diver specialty?...ooops not there either...in DM training then?...no never mind...in your instructor course maybe...nada...I guess they don't teach it at any level. I think it's because the agency doesn't know it and so they can't teach it.

:lol:

:censored: Mike, too funny. Once again 100% correct.

But seriously, why don't they?

Scuba_Steve:
:lol:

:censored: Mike, too funny. Once again 100% correct.

But seriously, why don't they?

Steve as an Instructor cant you write up a class and submit it to say PADI. I thought they were open to specialties submitted???

String:
Unless they screwed up gas planning
And what leads you to think any gas planning was involved?
I for one don't believe there was any, and that its absence is likely the primary cause of the mishap.
Rick

MikeFerrara:
Some agencies might and some instructors do even if the agency doesn't think to require it but the biggest agency doesn't teach it in OW. The reason is that you'll get it in AOW...ooops no...in the deep diver specialty?...ooops not there either...in DM training then?...no never mind...in your instructor course maybe...nada...I guess they don't teach it at any level. I think it's because the agency doesn't know it and so they can't teach it.

Actually, I think PADI *do* have gas management in AOW. On the deep dive, they "recommend" checking your SPG at least twice as often :) How's *that* for safety?

mnj1233:
Steve as an Instructor cant you write up a class and submit it to say PADI. I thought they were open to specialties submitted???

Waste of time and paper dude.

I just teach it as early as I can.

End of problems for me.

Oddly, what I think doesn't carry much weight. I think somebody said I was in bed with Mike. LOL :D

Yeah that's it, check the pressure guage early and often cause you use it up quicker when you're deep.......works for me :)

PADI teaches how to calculate SAC rate, but I can't remember if it's in OW or AOW. It is up to the student to draw the connection between running out of gas and death.

MikeFerrara:

Assuming you mean PADI, they do teach it in Cavern Diving at least (no idea if it was really on the sylabus or whether I just had a decent instructor).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom