OOA/Bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD:
Assuming you mean PADI, they do teach it in Cavern Diving at least (no idea if it was really on the sylabus or whether I just had a decent instructor).

I just happen to have the cavern specialty standards and instructors guide right here in my lap and the rule of thirds is taught in the cavern class.

Of course, most divers, including instructors, don't take the cavern class and the principle behind the rule of thirds applies a little differently in open water.

do it easy:
PADI teaches how to calculate SAC rate, but I can't remember if it's in OW or AOW. It is up to the student to draw the connection between running out of gas and death.

They do teach the calculation for SAC. It's in the AOW section on deep diving which is also the first part of the deep diver specialty.

However, They do not teach you how to make certain that you always have enough gas to get you and your buddy to the surface...although you could apply the sac formula to figure out why you died. Further, while it's nice to know your sac or RMV, you don't need to in order to figure what your turn/ascent pressure or volume be and that's what you really need to know.

Thanks Mike you beat me to it. There's some info bouncing around the topic somewhere that a diver in training may or may not get depending on the courses they choose to take, or not.

This is hardly a way to teach the basics that require being learned, and as is stated, is incomplete and probably too late in the game.

I simply teach this farm animal easy topic and enforce its use. What anyone else does I try not to know. It avoids a lot of personal headaches.

Why doesn’t one of our many competent cyber scuba divers do a write-up on gas planning and post it here?

You mean post the Fundamentals of Better Diving book from GUE?..errrr padi.

That's what I use :D LOL

ShakaZulu:
Why doesn’t one of our many competent cyber scuba divers do a write-up on gas planning and post it here?

Like Steve said it is in some books. We've also discussed it at lenght more than once here on the board so not only would a search turn it up but if some ambitious person wanted to do it I'll bet you could put an article together by cutting and pasting.

I don't remember exactly how it's explained in the "Fundamentals of Better Diving" but they certainly have it nailed in their lecture material. It is the somplest and best laid out explaination that I've heard/seen.

Someone did a really nice writeup a bit back.
Does anyone here know how to actually do a phrase search on this forum? I can't, and I make my living doing Internet research.
Anyhow, the phrase to seek is:
Standard Surface RMV Rates

It's in the middle of a nice post on gas planning.

I hear they're coming out with the eRMV soon.

The tricky part is that obviously both you and your buddy have to have one, and the wireless technology so you can monitor your buddy's progress on your split-screen is causing some grief. :D

Gotta get me some sleep.....somewhere some propeller head's wheels are turning...

ShakaZulu:

You mean like lamont in this thread?

I took a felt marker and put the rock bottom times on my dive light (it's bright yellow :wink: ). That way I'm never without them.

Bjorn

Back
Top Bottom