OOA/Bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This article does not mention the Cert. level of the divers. As I allways teach my students to allways check your gauges. It seems highly unlikelly that the two ran out of air at the same time. My only speculation is that they were diving beyon their Cert level or simple stupidity.
Had a very close friend die last year in a cavern accident because of of the same reason (not checking gauges). Sometimes experience divers tend to think we are superman and the only thing that can hurt us is kryptonite...... well think again. Keep sharp practice skill and dive within your limits.

Happy diving

webediving:
This article does not mention the Cert. level of the divers. As I allways teach my students to allways check your gauges. It seems highly unlikelly that the two ran out of air at the same time. My only speculation is that they were diving beyon their Cert level or simple stupidity.
Had a very close friend die last year in a cavern accident because of of the same reason (not checking gauges). Sometimes experience divers tend to think we are superman and the only thing that can hurt us is kryptonite...... well think again. Keep sharp practice skill and dive withing your limits.

Happy diving

Checking your gauges doesn't do much good if you don't know how much it will take to get you back. More to the point, how much will it take to get you and a buddy back in the worst case situation that your buddy sufferes a total gas loss at the furthest point in the dive. All diving texts tell a diver to check their gauges. They just don't usually tell them how to figure out what they need to get back. It's one of the biggest secrets in diving. LOL

That is why training is so IMPORTANT! Dive within your limits.

You want to learn about gas matching and gas planning. Take a course with an acredited agency (belive me there are plenty of them out there). There is more to learn about gas matching and gas planning than siple calculations!

Happy Diving :)
T

Another posibility the article does not mention is whether they were narc'd. Given that they were at about 125 feet or so they were close to the recreational limit for AOW cert. The article stated they were there to "check something out" and if they were doing work or anything else to elevate their breathing and heart rates then they could have experienced some sort of narcosis enduced euphoria and not have the presence of mind to continue to watch their gauges or equate what the gauges were reading into potentially running out of air. Of course, I'm just an OW cert holder and the deepest I've been so far is a mere 44 feet. However, my brother dove to 130 on the Speigel Grove anchor after earning his AOW cert and felt narc'd. Just a possibility that wasn't mentioned in the news article.

good point alot of you have.it is hard to know and we shouldnt even guess at this stage.some have said were they in drysuits,prob not,at this time of year a semi dry suit does the trick.some have said they didnt do the right thing regarding gas timing,good point,what we all dont know is what happened excactly.the people on the boat and the divers buddy seemed to do the right thing in this emergancy

Back
Top Bottom