Open H2O Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In regards to the new divers; Has anyone been trained how to put fins on at the open water site instead of the pool? We teach students to put the fins on at the pool and do a giant stride there. I feel it's good to teach this before they hit the open water. Although, a lot of instructors do not have access to a pool deep enough to do giant strides. I guess I'm just curious as to how many people learn this skill at the open water site instead of the pool?

If a pool isn't deep enough to giant stride into I don't see how it is deep enough to use for training.

As far as putting fins on during the open water dives, technique varies as to what kind og dives are being conducted. For example you don't put your fins on on the beach and then walk through the surf. You should have been taught several methods, were you?

yeah. Several different methods.

We weren't taught the giant stide. I guess the instructor figured it couldnt be that hard to master. We were taught at Mermet Springs .Mermet has steps that descend into the water about four ft so we just eased out into the water. Also this could have been because of the other students ,Their confidence level was kinda low.So maybe he didnt feel it would be a good thing to do a giant stride.But yes we were taught to put our fins on at the site.

I don't think I was ever "taught" to put fins on.....then again, I wasn't taught to put my bathing suit on either.:wink:

Not to be mean, but isn't that a bit basic?

Originally posted by CuriousMe
Not to be mean, but isn't that a bit basic?

I've seen people putting on fins in all sorts of strange ways!Definitely there are methods that are quicker, easier and/or safer. Same goes for a lot of things... assembling my gear is much less effort now I've worked out the easy ways to do things.

It still surprises me that there's a boat diving speciality, but not a shore diving one. Boat entries aren't that difficult... I'm sure there are ways to screw up a giant stride, but you'd have to work at it. A shore entry through surf sounds a lot more difficult.

Zept

Originally posted by Zept

I've seen people putting on fins in all sorts of strange ways!Definitely there are methods that are quicker, easier and/or safer. Same goes for a lot of things... assembling my gear is much less effort now I've worked out the easy ways to do things.

It still surprises me that there's a boat diving speciality, but not a shore diving one. Boat entries aren't that difficult... I'm sure there are ways to screw up a giant stride, but you'd have to work at it. A shore entry through surf sounds a lot more difficult.

Zept

I can see with gear assembly....I didn't have a set of that at home before I started diving. I guess that through years of swim team, snorkeling, etc...I've been wearing fins for a long time. I never thought about getting taught how to put them on.

I agree with you about the Boat Diving/Shore Diving thing. Althought, I'm also much more comfortable with boat diving. With just over 50 dives, I've only done 2 shore dives, they entries and exits weren't complicated....but then again we were with a local DM who knew the area.

Don't judge everyone's situation by your own! When a diver is encased in 80lbs of cold-water gear, walking 70' to the entry point, then having to negotiate a long & varied surf zone, how he carries his fins & puts them on makes the difference between a clean kick out to the site & floundering end over arse in "the rinse cycle" with your fins flying in opposite directions & out of reach. Believe me, there is a big difference between calm waters & mild seas whether on a boat or the shore.

PS: Proper donning of swimsuits is usually done prior to entering in warm or cold waters!

Originally posted by Zept

I've seen people putting on fins in all sorts of strange ways!Definitely there are methods that are quicker, easier and/or safer. Same goes for a lot of things...
Zept

No kidding! I've seen people do some strange little dances with and without buddies to get their fins on. For easy conditions and giant strides off boats, I teach my students one simple technique for donning fins. "Take your left hand and hold on to something or somebody. Brace your left leg over your right knee and put your left fin on. Now reverse for the other fin. Do NOT fall over and embarass me."
Art.chick is right about technique being important for beach diving, including how you carry the fins. And that's for entries AND exits. You get two possible "rinse cylcles" per dive. Speed of donning and removing is crucial.

dkigreg,
There are some instances where you might want to put your fins on on the beach and shuffle in. Depends on the slope of the beach and how many rocks are in the surf zone. We have one dive here where the only way to enter is to flop over the rocks in the surf zone with fins on. It's a strictly high-tide/calm-surf site to be sure.
In any case, no style points are awarded, so any successful entry is a good one!
Neil

I mostly shore dive in tidal waters
Its not in our manual and its a personal method however, "I show and telll," put on and take off fins floating on your back, positively buoyant with your dv in your mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom