Open Water Certification Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told that the questions came straight from Quizes 1-4, and that the extra 10 questions are essentially quiz 5.

Thanks everyone!

If PADI is anything like SSI, if you've read the materials and done the chapter quizzes, the final exam should be easy.

The Open Water dives are just the same things you've been doing in the pool, but you also get a couple of "fun dives".

It shouldn't be anything to get too stressed over.

flots.

If PADI is anything like SSI, if you've read the materials and done the chapter quizzes, the final exam should be easy.

I don't know how different things are from when I was certified. Back then while I was flying off to the place where I would get my instruction, I read the SSI OW manual on the plane and before I showed up at the PADI shop for my first lesson. I took careful notes. Then I read the PADI book that they gave me. When I was done, I was pretty sure the only difference was that SSI called for a 30 FPM ascent rate and PADI called for a 60 FPM ascent rate. The tables were different, too, but that was about it. I could have taken and passed the PADI exam after only reading the SSI book.

Thanks so much everyone, your answers were both informative and humorous!

I actually wanted to retake the quizzes prior to taking the final exam, but I have no access to them, unfortunately.
I'll see if I can get ahold of them (assuming that's even legal) to study them, but just in case I'll use the online quizzes and phone app.

All kidding aside the only "complicated" part is the tables. Make sure you are comfortable finding the pressure groups and allowable times. Other then that its common sense stuff. Good luck.

darrenc88, don't worry so much about it. This final exam is actually an opportunity to talk further about topics you might not be so clear on as flagged by missed questions. Instructors don't even report the scores to PADI. Just review the material in the book and write the test according to what you understand. Be glad for any mistakes since you'll get the benefit of additional explanation from your instructor.

Go back over your knowledge reviews, and pay particular attention to any that you missed. The material on the final exam has all been covered in the knowledge reviews and quizzes, and anything you missed should have been discussed by the instructor until you understood why you missed it. If there is an area where you are having particular trouble, it's worth going back and reading that part of the book again, and going through the little text quizzes and the knowledge review to make your brain work through it.

Do recognize that ALL the PADI exams have bad questions on them, where a thoughtful person could very well choose an answer different from PADI's. But you don't have to get 100% on the test, so the one or two that you miss that make you furious won't matter in the long run.

All good advice. Don't forget to review the material AFTER finishing the course. Keep all future manuals if you take continuing courses and do the same. And yeah, that one question I "missed" that doesn't matter at all still bugs me 8 years later....

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll have to go over the tables again...those killed me on the quiz.

Back
Top Bottom