Open Water Certification in Cuba.. Yes or No

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. I am new to Scuba and am taking the PADI elearning course now. Can't wait to be certified.
Was wondering if anyone has done their open water dives in Cuba, and if it is recommended.
I know PADI is not available in Cuba, but I was thinking with a referral letter, I should be fine and get my certification there while on Vacation.
any thoughts and tips would be most welcome.
thanks
Albert

I know Cuba is a popular vacation destination for Canadians. That being said, why don't you pick somewhere else to get certified where PADI exists and you won't have any trouble at all? Go diving in Cuba later on.

Talk to Norbert at Aquasub in Richmond Hill, he conducts PADI open water sessions in Cuba on a regular basis.

Hi Marie, I'm looking at utilizing my vacation time to get the certification and enjoy reefs. It also means getting my certification much earlier than I could otherwise.

Thanks Grff. I saw they had Cuba dive holidays but none when I am there.

Welcome to SB Albert. Why not do the course Canada and dive in Cuba enjoying yourself even more.

Last edited:
Welcome to SB Albert. Why not do the course here in the US and dive Cuba as the opportunity may not last with current political status. Just a suggestion.
The OP is from Canada so no problem going to Cuba.

The OP is from Canada so no problem going to Cuba.
My error. I corrected my response.. Thanks grf88.

Hi all. I am new to Scuba and am taking the PADI elearning course now. Can't wait to be certified.
Was wondering if anyone has done their open water dives in Cuba, and if it is recommended.
I know PADI is not available in Cuba, but I was thinking with a referral letter, I should be fine and get my certification there while on Vacation.
any thoughts and tips would be most welcome.
thanks
Albert

Hey Albert,

There are no PADI instructors in Cuba. I know AquaSub Scuba does PADI open water pool and class in Richmond Hill then travels with the class to do the open water portion in Cuba. This is not a referral letter. Your instructor actually travels to Cuba with you.

I think you might be able to get ACUC certified in Cuba but I don't know how they'd handle things. Also, the quality of your training is less about the agency and more about the instructor. I know all the instructors at AquaSub and I'd trust them to train me well. Hard to find out about instructors in Cuba.

AquaSub is also a TICO Travel Agency. So they arrange the vacation package to Cuba as well. Check out the trip section at http://www.aquasubscuab.com.

Update: ended up snorkeling in Cuba. Set my open water certification for Aug 19/20.
Thanks for everyone's input and advice.
Much appreciated

Welcome to SB Albert. Why not do the course Canada and dive in Cuba enjoying yourself even more.
That's my usual quote. Water's still gotta be toasty around the GTA. Better to go to Cuba certified and just dive. I guess particularly if you're dealing with PADI, a U.S. based company. Makes it simple and no questions asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom