Open Water Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Just a side note but my wife and I start our open water certification classes tonight. We have classes for the next two weeks then the weekend after we have our check out dives. Wish us luck...

Taltoz
Redneck Pool Diver

Keep us posted on your progress and be sure to ask any questions you have both in class and here. The number one key to this diving thing is to relax, relax, relax. Many things will seem absurd and strange ideas--like "what do you mean take this mask off underwater?" "What!? breathe bubbles underwater?!?!(that the free flowing regulator skill)Its way easier than it sounds. So relax & have fun!!

I wish you both the best. And having just recently gone through the course all in a single week I can assure you if I passed anyone can. Though I must say taking off my bcd and putting it back on was the hardest part. But I have done it a couple of times and now it isn't so bad.

And that freeflow skill does come in handy as I had some rental gear that had a problem with that for the first time used it, I had it turned up to high I guess.

But once you are certified and can get into a lake or ocean, just practice. My first dive after certification I was sucking air like there was no tomorrow. I think my tank lasted about 30 minutes. On Saturday 10 dives later I was up to 1 hr 6 minutes. Which is not too bad for a beginner.

The worst time for air wasting is as you first enter the water immediately on descending start thinking "I need to relax, and be at one with the snakes, crocodiles and snapping turtles. That really helps me.

BTW: I lost one of my toes to a turtle last week, if any of you have turtle soup and you should happen to find a piece of turle meat with a toenail attached please send it to me, as I want it for sentimental reasons.

Syruss
http://www.coraladventures.net

Well day one is finished and everything went great. My only disapointment so far is that the original instructor (and co-owner of the local dive shop) fell off his roof injuring his back so he can not teach the class. The instructor that they brought in seems knowledgeable but I was looking forward to getting to know the owner better since I will probably be dealing with him alot in the future.

Other than that everything went great. My wife and I did not recieve our books beforehand like we were supposed to (we were supposed to have finished the first two chapters) but she had no trouble. Since I had already read the book a few months ago when I first became interested I just had to refresh myself with the material. All in all a great session and I am looking forward to Wednesday night.

Did you have a pool session or was this classroom only?

This week is just classroom. Next week will be the pool sessions.

That is when the fun will begin! I did my cert in a single week and couldn't wait to get in the pool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom