Opinions on a weight system for a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamikey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking into my first set of gear and I'll probably get a BP/W (likely the DSS with Pro-fit, SS plate, but still looking) and a steel 85 LP tank. I've looked at the DUI weight harness, weight belts of nylon, rubber or neoprene, the Dive Rite 16 and 32 weight integrated add on pockets, hard weights, coated hard weights, soft weights, etc.

I'm 220 lbs, last dive in fresh water, 7mm suit, Weight Integrated jacket BC, alum 80 and 26lbs weight.

Most of my dives will be 65-75F freshwater NY summers, and some FL Keys diving in spring. I'm just starting out with no plans to rush into technical or cave diving, etc.

I'm trying to decide on the weight system, some form of pockets, belt or a combination of both. The DUI harness is probably more than I need, also the ability to remove the weight system easily and pass them to a boat operator is probably good for me at this point.

I've read some good threads, but still can't decide.

Any general thoughts and specific recommendations would be appreciated.

IMHO, weight pockets on the BP belt really clutter things up. I have been really happy with a standard weight belt and tank mounted weight pockets. The tank mounted pockets mount on the camband. In your case, your weight needs already drop about 12 pounds due to steel BP and steel tank, so you're looking at 14 pounds. You can put up to 10 pounds in the tank mounted pockets leaving only 4 around your waist, or any combination thereof. And 4 to 8 pounds on a standard weightbelt really feels like nothing.

I'll bet that a 10# weightbelt will work fine...

26 lbs - 6 lb backplate - 2 lb inherent buoyancy = 18 lbs needed

{Pour yourself a P-weight, or buy DSS 3/8" weight plates} and that's 8 lbs

Put the last 10 lbs on a weight belt and adjust as necessary. Drop the weight belt to 4 or 5 pounds when you get the steel tank.

I have the DSS single tank rig with SS back plate and 40 lb wing. Tobin actually talked me out of buying the weight plates (or at least waiting until I was really sure). Along with my steel LP 108, I am currently carrying 20 lbs (drysuit). I keep 10 in cam band pockets and 10 on a weight belt. You would never know the belt is there.

Again, on Tobin's advice, I went with the XS Scuba adjustable, soft weight belt for about $25. If there is such a thing as a "nice" weight belt, this would be it.

If you're keeping everything else the same (exposure suit etc.) you will probably end up dropping somewhere around 9-10 lbs. The plate it's self is around 6 lbs plus about 1 pound of metal on the pro fit harness. In addition, your jacket BC was probably about 3 or more lbs positive.

All things being equal, you might do well to carry 8- 10 on a belt and distribute the other 5 or 6 for trim (cam bands, ankles... whatever you need). There's different schools of thought on how much weight should be ditchable but you're likely going to be dealing with a fairly small amount to begin with.

scubamikey:
I'm looking into my first set of gear and I'll probably get a BP/W (likely the DSS with Pro-fit, SS plate, but still looking) and a steel 85 LP tank. I've looked at the DUI weight harness, weight belts of nylon, rubber or neoprene, the Dive Rite 16 and 32 weight integrated add on pockets, hard weights, coated hard weights, soft weights, etc.

I'm 220 lbs, last dive in fresh water, 7mm suit, Weight Integrated jacket BC, alum 80 and 26lbs weight.

Most of my dives will be 65-75F freshwater NY summers, and some FL Keys diving in spring. I'm just starting out with no plans to rush into technical or cave diving, etc.

I'm trying to decide on the weight system, some form of pockets, belt or a combination of both. The DUI harness is probably more than I need, also the ability to remove the weight system easily and pass them to a boat operator is probably good for me at this point.

I've read some good threads, but still can't decide.

Any general thoughts and specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Mikey,

A couple quick thoughts. Your current jacket BC is likely a few lbs positive, even when empty, ~3-5 is pretty common.

Moving to a BP&W will probably allow you to drop more than the 5-6 lbs of the plate, just because you no longer need an additional 3-5 lbs just to sink your jacket.

My advice would be to at least start with a weight belt. You will need to check your total weighting after you get your rig. A little pool time is great help.

Once you determine your total weighting you will need to see where that weight should be carried to achieve horizontal trim. Back to the pool with some clip weights or ankle weights etc. This are a handy way to temporarily try weight in different places. You may find that 5-6 lbs or so around the tank valve helps, or maybe not.

You might get trimmed out with a 12-14 lbs weight belt. Cheap and easy. I don't really like weight pockets on the BP&W harness. Others use tham and seem to like them, but for me they take up room on the harness, make the rig quite heavy, and can possibly require a larger wing.

Your wing needs to be able to float your rig at the surface without you in it, and if all your ballast is attached to the rig, you may need larger wing than if you had some of the weight on your waist.

I like the XS Scuba pouch belts. Comfortable, and easy to add or subtract weight from when you are fine tuning.

Regards,

Tobin

Good comments.

FWIW, I have the same rig you are thinking of getting. When I went to the DSS, I was able to drop 5 pounds or so just because of the loss of positive padding. I got the weight plates, which I love. If you do the weight plates and maybe some more weight in cam band pockets, you won't need much on a belt. I really would like to go to a steel tank. If you did that, you'd need very little if any weight on the belt.

As far as weight pockets, the XS pockets are fine and affordable.

Cheers :D

From Dive-Rite Express, these are mounted with carabiners and fit off to the sides of the wing. That's what I've got, and the weights are completely out of the way and not cluttering up the front of my harness, either.

bc2150alllg.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom