Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest issue for buying used is many sellers who paid top dollar via their LDS for gear have a had time realizing the value drop since the same gear is available for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price on-line. Other sellers may have gear that has sat in the garage, slowly deteriorating over several years or was not properly cleaned. In this case you as the buyer will have to pay to get it checked out and properly serviced.

Bottom line for me is used is fine if the price is right and the gear fits. Being so far from the ocean, I don't see that happening very often, due to your location you might have better luck. Many scuba items are built well and have a long life when properly cared for so the potential is there for good savings.

Well, halocline...

it makes a difference to me. I do a lot of traveling and diving and I don't have time to deal with used gear. I would rather be diving than futzing with gear. Tanks are easy and the price break is phenomenal. After that, it's a crap shoot. I have seen people "settle" for a piece of gear rather than get what they really need/want. I am not into settling.

Last edited:
Well, Mattboy...

it makes a difference to me. I do a lot of traveling and diving and I don't have time to deal with used gear. I would rather be diving than futzing with gear. Tanks are easy and the price break is phenomenal. After that, it's a crap shoot. I have seen people "settle" for a piece of gear rather than get what they really need/want. I am not into settling.

Okay, so it makes a difference to you, but there's no connection in general between someone's commitment to diving and whether they buy used or new gear. In fact, more experienced divers, who tend to be more committed to the sport, are almost certainly more likely to buy used gear.

In fact, more experienced divers, who tend to be more committed to the sport, are almost certainly more likely to buy used gear.
Do you have actual data to confirm this or is it wishful thinking? Most experienced divers I know eschew used gear in favor of new. Anecdotal evidence should never be confused as "fact".

Pete, I disagree with you; most of the avid divers I know buy used gear (often from one another!) Once you know enough to evaluate stuff, and especially if you know the seller, used gear is such a huge discount from new that it just makes sense.

I wouldn't buy used neoprene exposure protection, because it quite simply wears out. I wouldn't buy a used mask, unless you had a chance to dive it and were sure that it fit well. And recognize that regulators have to be cheap to be a good deal, because you are immediately going to put the price of inspection and service into them (unless you can do it yourself) and around here, that will add $100 to $125 to the cost of the reg. But I've bought Jet fins for $25 ($75 on LeisurePro) and an entire backplate and singles wing setup for $250 ($450 from the manufacturer). The last canister light I bought off the Deco Stop ran me $400 ($1000 new).

You do take some risks. A BC, for example, has very few working parts, and fewer still that wear out . . . but the inflators do get tired, and have to be serviced or replaced. It's an inexpensive and quick job if you know how to do it, but nothing you have done by a shop will be either quick or cheap. Dry suits are often sold because they leak, so if you're willing to spend the time to find and fix leaks, they can be good buys, but if not, they're a pure annoyance.

I guess it comes down to this: If you buy new, you pay a lot more money, but you have the support of a dive shop if anything is wrong with the gear. If you buy used, you really need to be a good DIYer for issues with the goods not to mount up quickly to more annoyance than the price savings is worth.

I've bought both ways & never had a problem with the used stuff I've purchased...It'll take longer to locate 'good' used equipment so IMO it depends upon your time frame.....

Totally agree with buying used gear. I think it's a matter of the brand and condition. I bought all new regs but nearly all other used stuff. Works great.

Pete, I disagree with you;
What? You think that the experienced divers I know rely on used gear? No, you simply have a different life experience or outlook than I have. That's OK as long as we don't mistake anecdotal evidence for reality.

So, what was the impetus of the gear sale? I'll bet that quite often someone ( a more experienced diver) buys some NEW gear and wants to get rid of the old. Like children in a family, the old stuff gets passed down to the youngsters. I'm sure that this is not the only paradigm for used equipment sales, but you have to admit that it happens.

Most of the experienced divers I know sit at or near the top of the "Gear Chain". They get new and get rid of the old. I like to sit at the top of the gear chain myself. :D

Anyone want to buy some used equipment? :D

I bought all of my gear used except for my regulator and backup. Saved me a lot of money. Everything was at most 2 years old, so it's all relatively new.

So I wrapped up my certification this weekend, it was an absolute blast! I can't believe I waited this long... I was able to dive in Devil's Den (underground spring) and in the Gulf off of Sarasota, FL for OW. Now I'm looking to begin collecting the equipment I need (ie: BC, reg, gauges/computer, etc).

What is your opinion on purchasing used equipment such as primary reg, bc, computer/gauges?

I've found a $300 new-in-box Atomic B2 reg that I'm probably going to pick up, however, I'm still on the fence to whether I should invest in all new equipment or previously owned?

Thoughts?

Oceanic sells a new set: B/C, Regs (including octo and guages/computer) for $800.00 with full factory warranty.

I'd guess a very good used set for $400 or a new set with warranty for $800.00 would all depend on what budget you had.

Back
Top Bottom