Opinions on buying new vs. used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does it have to be "either or", to a new diver, I would recommend a new regulator and gauges, and a bottom timer of some sort...watch or computer. You want to buy a good used BC, used wetsuit someone may have peed a lot in, I say go for it. Like Bob, I buy new, sell the old to cut the cost of my new toys. Just did it with my camera system!:wink::D

Used cylinders and lead a re a no brainer if you can find what you want. In our case the initial stuff was bought new on the spot. From there I watched for used deals and filed out the collection.

For all items I do a value comparison and make sure there is enough left to justify the risk after recommissioning the gear. I like to use Leisure Pro as the low water mark. If I can buy & service for significantly less then i consider it. If it's getting close to even money that deal's not happening.

There is a lot of lightly used gear out there that can be a good value. Just make sure you do lot's of homework. When it comes to neoprene buying used is rarely worthwhile unless you find something that never fit, was never used and hasn't aged much.

Pete

Why does it have to be "either or", to a new diver, I would recommend a new regulator and gauges, and a bottom timer of some sort...watch or computer. You want to buy a good used BC, used wetsuit someone may have peed a lot in, I say go for it. Like Bob, I buy new, sell the old to cut the cost of my new toys. Just did it with my camera system!:wink::D

Of course an instructor would usually buy new stuff. The store probably requires you demonstrate new gear to your students and, with the savings from your key man discount, both you and the store benefit (at the students' expense).

I buy used regulators in part because I don't want to "settle". There are no new regulators that I would be interested in owning. Maybe if scubapro would reissue the MK5 or MK10, then I might be interested, but probably not.

I bought a MK10/D300 that I suspect outperforms basically everything on the market today, for the princely sum of $84. More recently I bought the best performing 2nd stage I've ever tried, a SP pilot converted to coaxial valve. That worked out to about $50 after accounting for the other stuff I got with it.

It's hardly "a few pennies." Used regulators are so much of a better value than new ones, it's hard to figure out why anyone would walk into a dive shop and plunk down $5-600 for a new plastic special. Oh yeah, that's right, it's life support, and isn't your life worth that atomic Ti reg?

Now, there is one caveat to this, which is buying a used regulator means you must have a service technician that you trust. The only problem is, that's also true for new regs, unless you want to buy new, dive it for a while, then just sell it and buy another new one.

• Usually not that much more expensive than new
  • Almost a Slam Dunk that it will perform to your expectations
  • Precisely what you want (not just close)

Other than saving a few pennies, why would you want to take a chance and settle for something only close to what you wanted?
My pleasure. If you just turned on your signature, it won't appear on any of your previous posts. However, once used, they will all change when you edit them.
A FEW pennies? You clearly make ten times more than I do. Guess the $7,500 I got for my domain name wasn't nearly enough :(

I have saved probably close to $15,000+ buying used scuba equipment.

After 3 sets of regs, 4 wings (Last one I couldn't even tell it was used), 1 backplate, 2 can lights, both at half price (Looking for another 21watter), 5 drysuits, 2 sets of drysuit undies (1 NOS, 1pair used once (Too warm for him)), 1 compressor and bank system, reg rebuilding equipment for pennies on the dollar (as in I paid $65 for one piece that would be $895 new), lots of Jet fins, a few sets of used dry gloves, some H argon straps are coming to my house today, 1 kayak, 1 boat (Neither counted in the savings), 2 expensive computers, 1 mask (Plus one used one from LP, although it was new with tags), 4 HP130's, 1 AL80, 2 AL 6, 9 HP100's, 1 HP80, a few tank valves and manifolds, and way too many little items to list.

Of course I have spent thousands on new gear too.

Craigslist, Ebay, The Deco Stop, Scubaboard :D have all helped me acquire new and used gear.

Most of the folks I dive with happily buy used gear too. Maybe it is a cold water thing vs warm water :wink:

I'm confused why you think you can't get exactly what you want used?
OK, find a used Zeagle Express Tech. Go ahead. Find a used HOG Piston First Stage. No, better find a pair of them. How about some used Hollis F1 Fins?

There's your assignment.

OK, find a used Zeagle Express Tech. Go ahead. Find a used HOG Piston First Stage. No, better find a pair of them. How about some used Hollis F1 Fins?

There's your assignment.

Does it count if I offer to sell him some of my stuff?

Note: Ok I bought it all new..but could possibly sell it...

A FEW pennies? You clearly make ten times more than I do. Guess the $7,500 I got for my domain name wasn't nearly enough :(
I wouldn't sell mine for that price, that's for sure. :D

Apparently, like Bob and I: you are at the top of the "Gear Chain". I'll have my new Deluxe Express Tech at Vortoberfest as I am sure some peeps would like to try it. :D

Does it count if I offer to sell him some of my stuff?

Note: Ok I bought it all new..but could possibly sell it...

Apparently, like Bob and I: you are at the top of the "Gear Chain". I'll have my new Deluxe Express Tech at Vortoberfest as I am sure some peeps would like to try it. :D

Oh, I don't have an express tech...but I do have the hogg regs and the fins...I do have the very first backplate/wing setup they made though... but he is not getting that. (ok, am not selling any of it... was just a "what if" concept)

Back
Top Bottom