Opinions on Video Editing Computer and Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMDavid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know this has the potential to open a can of worms but I would sincerely like to hear opinions
on a portable video editing computer and software.

I am currently looking at a
Macbook Pro with retina display
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage
and Final Cut Pro X as the my editor.

This setup would be used primarily for editing GoPro high res videos while traveling.

You'll probably eventually need an external HDD, but that's a great setup. I'm doing mine on a MacBook Air and it works fine, the one you're looking at has even more horsepower so it should be great.

I bought this system last summer it works great editing HD videos ..
Untitled-1222.jpg

I have only used older Macs with older versions of iMovie so I can't comment on your setup. Personally I use a 3.2 GHz quad core processor running Windoze and edit SD in Adobe Premiere 6.0 (old but it does the job) and HD in Sony Vegas Movie Maker Platinum ver 10. Given the amount of video editing I do, I have 13 terabytes of hard drive space for current projects and backup and many, many terrabytes of older video files archived on DVDs.

It depends entirely on how long are your videos and how they are captured
The hardest part is the encoding with my MacBook Pro it took 7 hours for 15' at 1080p with beefed up iMac it takes less than one hour despite the benchmark is only 3 times faster
In terms of hard disk take also into account that a MacBook Pro has 5400 rpm disk that generally is slow so if you have money invest in an SSD even smaller and use an external drive for storage purposes
The configuration you have has a flash storage so I would say it will work
However if you convert files into format like apple intermediate codec your half terabyte will last a very short time hence the advice of an external disk

You're set up is good. Interceptor is right though, how long do you plan on making you videos? I found encoding on my Macbook pro would take all night. I'd make the customer's DVD through the evening and then encode and burn it through the night as I slept to have it ready and waiting in the morning for delivery to the customer.

I'd add at least one external 1-2 TB drive with Thunderbolt for a fast storage solution. You'll thank me later for this piece of advice :) Do the research, a Thunderbolt is exactly what you need for quick access to your video files. Of course if you can afford it, SSD is the fastest option but also the most expensive.

I'm curious how fast your new macbook will encode as I am still working on my 2006 MacBook Pro that I bought when I first got intothe video game. Kudos to Mac that I can still edit and encode on a 6 year old laptop.

All the best...

Flying Fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom