Options to not wrap hoses around my neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a recent convert to SM and I'm working on setting up my new kit (xdeep stealth + hog d3s). The only thing I'm not in love with is having hoses wrapped around my neck. I've heard a rumor that I'm not alone in this and have seen one SM diver setup without the neck wrapping but I didn't pay enough attention. I've looked around a little but haven't found any useful info.

Anyone have any links that could help me out? I'm really curious about a smart way to hang my regs, if they're not around my neck. I'm hoping to be in Monterey this weekend, doing some tweaking, to see if I can come up with something but input is appreciated.

so you really need a reversible second stage to do it properly. Hog did make a switchback version of the Zenith, but it may be hard to come by, Apeks XTX series are all reversible as well. Poseidon or Oceanic Omega/Hollis 500se are non directional so you don't have to do anything to them to switch them around.

If you think about it, you have a bottle from the left and need to get it to the right side of your head. You can either do this behind or in front of your neck. In front leaves lots of room for it to be snagged, around the back of your neck is the easiest way for most regulators.

I'm a recent convert to SM and I'm working on setting up my new kit (xdeep stealth + hog d3s). The only thing I'm not in love with is having hoses wrapped around my neck. I've heard a rumor that I'm not alone in this and have seen one SM diver setup without the neck wrapping but I didn't pay enough attention. I've looked around a little but haven't found any useful info.

Anyone have any links that could help me out? I'm really curious about a smart way to hang my regs, if they're not around my neck. I'm hoping to be in Monterey this weekend, doing some tweaking, to see if I can come up with something but input is appreciated.

I agree, I also don't care for hoses around my neck. My left reg has a left hose feed, and is on a 90 degree swivel. My right reg has a right hose feed, and also a 90 degree swivel. Both hoses just come straight up from the tanks. Nothing goes behind my neck.

so you really need a reversible second stage to do it properly. Hog did make a switchback version of the Zenith, but it may be hard to come by

Crap. I didn't realize they made a reversible and a non reversible model. Looking at their site, I'm pretty sure mine aren't reversible. I'll have to reach out to the dealer and see if there's something I can work out with them.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

I agree, I also don't care for hoses around my neck. My left reg has a left hose feed, and is on a 90 degree swivel. My right reg has a right hose feed, and also a 90 degree swivel. Both hoses just come straight up from the tanks. Nothing goes behind my neck.

What do you use to keep your regs in place? If they're coming straight up from the tank, I don't imagine you have either of them on a necklace. I know a (very technical) DM that uses the magnetic octo holder to keep his long hose in place during classes. He says he uses it on his regular dives too but I've only ever been out with him when he's being doing instruction.

Not entirely sure what setup you are using right now, but I don't see why you would not be able to just have the hoses routed from the tank to your reg without a wrap. I would definitely acquire a set of swivels or elbows. You don't want to end up with the Predator Hose Routing Syndrome:
4477660-7522784206-Preda.jpg

Depending on your current hose lengths, the switch may be as simple as tucking the excess hose into tank bungees:
1942.jpg

I normally dive with both hoses wrapped like this guy but you can see how with the swivels, the hose could be coming from the chest just as easily.
970851_592139434140333_278033759_n.jpg

It sounds like a lefty second stage would work, but I do not think it would be a requirement in my book.

Crap. I didn't realize they made a reversible and a non reversible model. Looking at their site, I'm pretty sure mine aren't reversible. I'll have to reach out to the dealer and see if there's something I can work out with them.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

What do you use to keep your regs in place? If they're coming straight up from the tank, I don't imagine you have either of them on a necklace. I know a (very technical) DM that uses the magnetic octo holder to keep his long hose in place during classes. He says he uses it on his regular dives too but I've only ever been out with him when he's being doing instruction.
One is on a necklace, one is on a break away clip to a shoulder d-ring. Yes, the left one is a Hog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edit: dupe reply

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 06:15 PM ----------

Not entirely sure what setup you are using right now, but I don't see why you would not be able to just have the hoses routed from the tank to your reg without a wrap. I would definitely acquire a set of swivels or elbows. You don't want to end up with the Predator Hose Routing Syndrome:
View attachment 210569

Depending on your current hose lengths, the switch may be as simple as tucking the excess hose into tank bungees:
View attachment 210570

I normally dive with both hoses wrapped like this guy but you can see how with the swivels, the hose could be coming from the chest just as easily.
View attachment 210571

It sounds like a lefty second stage would work, but I do not think it would be a requirement in my book.

HOG SM kit from cavedivers with diveright tank bungee kits for both tanks and xdeep stealth 2 harness. Both regs have swivels. Gonna stop by my LDS this week and pick up some small bits to play with. Maybe I'll feel better with just the short hose behind my neck and not both.

My left reg has a left hose feed, and is on a 90 degree swivel. My right reg has a right hose feed, and also a 90 degree swivel. Both hoses just come straight up from the tanks. Nothing goes behind my neck.

Do you have any pictures of this setup in use? I'd be interested to see how tidy it is in use, and whether or not the hoses hang forward a bit as they come straight up from the cylinders with nothing to "pin" them back in close to the body?

Not a criticism, i'm genuinely interested to see this setup in more detail?

I agree that you can set up a sidemount rig without hoses around the neck. Hose routing around the neck is a function of Hogarthian backmounting that has carried over to sidemounting. I don't like swivels (especially those pictured in post #5) due to their tendency to fail,but prefer a 90 degree adapter on my left tank.

I haven't seen anyone with hoses feeding from underneath using a stealth... Why not start with the standard rigging and once you know what you're doing decide for yourself if it's really that big of a deal to have it around your neck?

Imo you are gonna cause more issues than what you'll solve. Anyway, answer's been given, left feed on left hose, right feed on right hose, but I wouldn't expect too much from it tbh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom