oral surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Next week i'm going in for some serious oral surgery. Getting my wisdom teeth removed, guess i'll loose my wisdom :wink: Anyways. They are doing 2 simple, 1 surgical extraction and 1 partial bony. My question/concern is how is this going to impact on my diving? i.e. how long will I be sidelined while this heals up?

Ed

HI Ed,

When I had mine out a few months back, I was told I had to wait at least until the stitches had dissolved, which was about 2 weeks. I had 2 simple extractions and 1 bony extraction. All came out without a hitch.

You might also try viewing this thread and this thread.

Good luck to you. I hope your surgery goes as smoothly as mine did.

Ed,

I cannot answer a single one of your questions, BUT

Get well soon!

Joewr...I wonder if the tooth fairy will visit him...

All 4 at once? Very brave of you... Good luck and I hope they give you lots of drugs! :p

Hello,

Well from all the research i've gathered so far it seems about 2-3 weeks tops of no dive time but that's not a problem at all. Yea 4 at once and the surgeon tells me it's not a problem and there'll be little pain and he does all sorts of complicated stuff and this one is a walk in the park for him. Will report back next weekend.

As for the tooth fairy part. I'm hoping to retain some 'wisdom' but we'll see on that one :wink:

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
the surgeon tells me it's not a problem and there'll be little pain and he does all sorts of complicated stuff and this one is a walk in the park for him.

Ed,

Let's hope he was not referring to Central Park after midnight!

And, if you eat all your vegetables, the Tooth Fairy will visit you...

Joewr...no peeking during the night, Ed!

... cos I gotta go get my wisdom teeth out soon too. Had a molar out a couple of weeks ago and that healed up fine (did 2 18m dives the following week and no complaints). I suspect as LD suggests that the wisdom teeth extaction will take a week or too more to heal up.

Let us know how you get on and any tips you may have!!

I had some oral surgery several years ago with a diver doing the cutting. He told me there was no reason not to dive. Talk to your doctor to find out the particulars in your case.

WWW™

Hello,

OK today was the big day! Went in at 9, surgery was at 9:30, woke me up at 10. I ask if he was finished and he said yup, just waiting on me. Took all 4. We came home and by 1pm I was eating. So far no pain at all, some discomfort and soreness but no pain persay. The doctor called me abit ago and told him there's no pain he said "guess I did something wrong then" LOL that was just to funny.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom