oral surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed,

Glad to hear all came out okay (pardon the pun). Eating? Hopefully not pretzels!

Joewr...

To all you folks facing having your wisdom teeth removed, here is a bit of advice from someone that has been there, done that.

Stay away from eating ANYTHING with SHARP corners. This includes tortilla chips, taco shells, Doritos and, believe it or not, popcorn (those darned little hulls get caught in the incisions and are very tough to get out).

Hello,

Here's an update. Also don't take the narcotics on an empty stomache or swallow blood. One of those 2 just caused me to do 2 rounds of puking. Sharp edges is a no-no, soft food is your friend.

Ed

Glad to hear it (mostly) went well... two out of my four wisdom teeth removals were so painful I was crying for two days and constantly spitting out the blood... couldn't eat a thing anyway, soft or otherwise!

Jay - best of luck with yours, mate...

didn't mean to do that to you! I wasn't thinking very clearly when I posted that, was I? You'll be fine I'm sure.... :p

Wait at least two weeks--longer if you get a dry socket. I would have some concerns about the surgical extractions on the lower teeth. I've talked to Oral Surgeons about this before and their concern is the possiblity of a fractured jaw.

The lower surgical site makes a HOLE IN YOU JAW (is that medical enough for you?). These holes are exactly in the same place that the greatest forces can be applied by your teeth and the greatest stress concentration can occur during biting.

Biting hard on something...like your regulator bite tabs theoretically can cause a fracture to occur.

Bone fill is well on its way at 3 months, pretty solid at 6 months and mature at a year.

I would wait longer than two weeks if you had a smallish jaw and a significant surgical procedure to remove the impacted lower teeth.

Oh...Wait I forgot the official stuff. Disclaimer
(No representations are made that in any way offer a diagnosis, treatment or cure for any illness or condition, either discussed or implied. Answers to questions are offered as information only and should always be used in conjunction with advice from your personal diving physician. I take no responsibility for any conceivable consequence, which might be related to any visit to this site.)

Talk to your Oral Surgeon about this and your hobby.

Safe diving.

Laurence Stein DDS

:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom