Orally inflating a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive your gear properly none of this would be an issue or a discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I like my dry suit and I really like being dry. I would have a difficult time with the environment that I dive dry in to pull a wrist or neck seal. brrrrrrrr

A dry suit inflation bottle would be my first choice, followed by lift bag.

The main thing we are talking about here, I guess, is how to inflate your drysuit if you run out of gas to inflate it normally right? Well, using an oral inflation device or other procedure is going to be limited to the air in your lungs. Which, in an out of air situation, you are not going to be able to replenish from your regulator anyway because you are already OOA. Right?

So looking for an alternative to inflate your drysuit would be a secondary inflation source then. So that means a redundant gas supply system. Or how about a small CO2 cartridge inflator device? It would fit in the pocket of a BC or other accessory pocket as well. You could insert the tip into a drysuit wrist seal and release the gas into your suit? Something similar to the attached pic.

As others have already said, failures of multiple buoyancy devices in the same dive are almost never going to happen. You would have a better chance at winning the lottery. And if all of that does happen, then it IS most likely your time. The one most likely way for this type of failure or both buoyancy devices to occur would be an out of air situation. And in that case you are going to have to ditch weight and swim for the surface asap. Once on the surface you can orally inflate your BC or dump your gear and float on your drysuit to stay buoyant. B. co2inflator.jpg

The main thing we are talking about here, I guess, is how to inflate your drysuit if you run out of gas to inflate it normally right? Well, using an oral inflation device or other procedure is going to be limited to the air in your lungs. Which, in an out of air situation, you are not going to be able to replenish from your regulator anyway because you are already OOA. Right?

So looking for an alternative to inflate your drysuit would be a secondary inflation source then. So that means a redundant gas supply system. Or how about a small CO2 cartridge inflator device? It would fit in the pocket of a BC or other accessory pocket as well. You could insert the tip into a drysuit wrist seal and release the gas into your suit? Something similar to the attached pic.

As others have already said, failures of multiple buoyancy devices in the same dive are almost never going to happen. You would have a better chance at winning the lottery. And if all of that does happen, then it IS most likely your time. The one most likely way for this type of failure or both buoyancy devices to occur would be an out of air situation. And in that case you are going to have to ditch weight and swim for the surface asap. Once on the surface you can orally inflate your BC or dump your gear and float on your drysuit to stay buoyant. B.View attachment 169206

If your BCD or wing fails and you are negative and not on the bottom you better swim up or ditch weight. By the time I could get my glove off to squirt CO2 in my wrist seal I'd be a long way down.

I agree. Just throwing out some options. Like someone has already stated, if the "you know what" hits the fan to the discussed level, what are the chances the diver is going to have their head on straight enough to do use a CO2 inflator anyway? Diver's forget to ditch weight as it is. Add even more to do and it is most likely going to get forgotten. B.

im just gonna put this right here

Yup. This really bothered me about the wrist and neck seal dump skills. If my dump valve fails to vent, I would have quite the time actually getting to a seal to manually dump gas from the suit.

Why not just remove the valve, it does screw on and off. Even better, use you knife. ROTFLMAO at all of this.

You sir, obviously have never known the luxury of inflating your dry suit with your own warm breath.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2013 at 06:32 AM ----------

As others have already said, failures of multiple buoyancy devices in the same dive are almost never going to happen. You would have a better chance at winning the lottery. And if all of that does happen, then it IS most likely your time. The one most likely way for this type of failure or both buoyancy devices to occur would be an out of air situation. And in that case you are going to have to ditch weight and swim for the surface asap. Once on the surface you can orally inflate your BC or dump your gear and float on your drysuit to stay buoyant. B.View attachment 169206

That's not warm breath either.

I almost cut the whole LP auto/oral inflator/flex hose assy. off that jet suit before I trashed it, all dried and brittle the suit was, but the hose assy. was fine. I should have kept it.

asap. Once on the surface you can orally inflate your BC or dump your gear and float on your drysuit to stay buoyant. B.View attachment 169206

They used to have these built into the old horse collar BCs when they first came out but at depth, even if you had two of them built in, the gas from the cartridge was not enough to make much difference. All you would get from them would be a small bubble of air in the back of your neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom