Organizing my purchase of a BPW system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the tips, Lots of great info Guys!!! I've dove with a friends halcyon rig and it was beautiful. I am renting a complete Dive rite rig in about 2 weeks. Everyone seems pretty consistent about buying two wings. I'm going to keep doing research, but I am leaning towards the right tool for the job and not one tool for every job.

I plan on boat diving once a week and shore diving once a week for about 16 months, Some months I will probably dive more, and others less. I will be taking a cave class, safety class, and any other class i can get my hands on. I think I'll keep the weight of the backplate for now and leave it ditch-able. As the old after school specials always say.. Knowledge is Power! So what does that make experience? :eyebrow:

Your 'bits and pieces' prices aren't sufficiently low to make it worth the hassle. If you go to www.deepseasupply.com you can get a complete 'top-of-the-line' BP/W with either the stainless or aluminum backplate. For cold water and a 7mm wetsuit, 30# of lift is adequate. It could be somewhat less for warm water.

I do not believe they produce an aluminum backplate...

I do not believe they produce an aluminum backplate...

I spoke with them a few weeks ago. They do not produce an AL plate. They have a kydex (SP?) plate which is a plastic, probably closer in characteristics to AL than to SS.

Personal goals are to gain a self mastery of Scuba, to be comfortable in most scenarios. Professionally I am a photographer that works with local marine biology and biology schools and text book publishers. I have new requests for jobs in Africa, Galapagos, and even some Florida caves. I need to be ready for all of these areas. I am in talks to do some filming of whales as well. My first underwater job is 16 months out currently.

I am versing myself in every technique and skill available. I Got NAUI, have read through all of the PADI books, and now read through the GUE books as well. In order to be ready to go on these work trips they expect me to be Safety diver minimum. I prefer to be trained for all scenarios that I must dive prior to diving them. I am a education NUT, I love reading and seeing as much as I can, the more knowledge I have the better my chances for success. Add to that, I plan to do a lot of diving over the next 16 months.. I should be able to be comfortable by work time.

For rec I will be diving out of south Florida and the keys. For rec stuff I will be just like the normal folks, a little reef, some wall, and perhaps some wreck diving. For work, I need to be efficient, will be taking cameras and lighting gear and extra equipment as needed.

Sorry its long winded.. but wanted to give you a good scope of why I am choosing what I am choosing.

Thanks for the info,

If you do need a doubles n prefer the back mount method, then the choice is pretty clear... a bp/w is a better option.

You could try out something like this and it's affordable yet will last you through many happy dives:

Something reasonable like this, a simple harness with a 2" crotch strap, wing, & your're good to go for the next 50 - 100,000 dives.

A oxycheq mach v 30 wing for singles and a 55 vertex for doubles would be a very good system.

Good luck :thumbs-up

SangP

Thanks for the info,

If you do need a doubles n prefer the back mount method, then the choice is pretty clear... a bp/w is a better option.

You could try out something like this and it's affordable yet will last you through many happy dives:

Something reasonable like this, a simple harness with a 2" crotch strap, wing, & your're good to go for the next 50 - 100,000 dives.

A oxycheq mach v 30 wing for singles and a 55 vertex for doubles would be a very good system.

Good luck :thumbs-up

SangP

Plus two cam bands.

The idea of a dual use wing appeals to most divers when they are exposed to the concept of the plate and wings. After all, at first blush, the dual use wing makes sense. That said, it is about like asking for some exposure suit that will work well both in the tropics (82 degree water, 90 degree air) and local diving (say 45 degree water with an air temp of 40). Or the perfect pack to be used on both a climb of Denali and to use on the 5 mile loop at the nature preserve.

One of the major advantages of a BP/W is the modular nature of the product. Figure out what you will be doing now and buy the wing that best fills that need. If you have other needs down the road, buy a new wing if the current one doen't work well for that new purpose. (In the scheme of total costs of getting into tech and/or cave, the price of a second wing is minor. ).

I have used purchased/used both the Oxycheq wing (from CA) and DSS (wing and plate) and have been very happy with both. Other good choices as well.

One other observation: When looking at plates/wings the choices can at first seem mind numbing.

First, keep it simple. You need a floaty thing (the wing), the thing that goes on your back (the plate), something to attach it to you (harness and crotch strap) and something to attach the tank to it (cam bands, perhaps a STA for singles depending on the model of the wings, etc.). A place like DSS will show you what a complete kit looks like/costs.

Second, keep it simple. Start with a hog harness and crotch strap. Avoid the shoulder pads, comfort harnesses, spine pads, etc. If you have discomfort, you can add something later (my bet is that you never do).

Plus two cam bands.

9260.gif

Dang!

SangP

jgoodstein,

You seem to have an uncommon learning style and some great goals. I gather you already have the photographic skills and this is and extension to that. A buddy and fellow SB post has gone this route and it has been rewarding to him. It's neat that you have the time and resources to let you work to this goal.

You may be a photographer but you need to become a decent diver before trying to be a diving photographer. When you can dive with the control of some local role model divers then it is time to pick up the camera and meld your interests. Start simple with a single cylinder rig. 30 LB lift should be plenty, the DSS rig off the shelf is a nice no brainier way to go.

If you evolve to doubles that will be a whole new rig. Once you dedicate cylinders, manifold, add a regulator, bands and a larger wing there's no point in trying to get a plate and harness to do double duty.

One other option that presents to a photographer is double hose regulators. With the bubbles out back you have less distractions and critters will come in closer to visit. This vintage gear is finding a lot of favor with many divers. There is an active community represented here in the Vintage Diving forum as well as on sites like Vintage Doublehose.com. Check it out. As an example here is my regulator.

Pete

I'm in a very fortunate and very lucky spot. Yes on the prior photography skills. My family is very supportive of this new adventure in life, I couldn't do it without them. I am very comfortable in the water, and look to hone my diving skills as fast as i can. Since I live in South Florida I pretty much have my pick of the liter for model divers on both what to do and what not to do :D. I am definitely going to work on skills before photography.

I know that my gear becomes a tax deductible selection.. but I still have to shell out cash. I think I'll start with something similar to the DSS single tank rig and add a Double tank rig once things start generating a bit more income. To be honest the Camera cases and lighting cost almost 4X as much as the gear setups, which is why I'm trying to save money where ever i can without sacrificing quality. Crazy....

I'm going to look into the double hose regulators, It seems an interesting option.

jgoodstein,

You seem to have an uncommon learning style and some great goals. I gather you already have the photographic skills and this is and extension to that. A buddy and fellow SB post has gone this route and it has been rewarding to him. It's neat that you have the time and resources to let you work to this goal.

You may be a photographer but you need to become a decent diver before trying to be a diving photographer. When you can dive with the control of some local role model divers then it is time to pick up the camera and meld your interests. Start simple with a single cylinder rig. 30 LB lift should be plenty, the DSS rig off the shelf is a nice no brainier way to go.

If you evolve to doubles that will be a whole new rig. Once you dedicate cylinders, manifold, add a regulator, bands and a larger wing there's no point in trying to get a plate and harness to do double duty.

One other option that presents to a photographer is double hose regulators. With the bubbles out back you have less distractions and critters will come in closer to visit. This vintage gear is finding a lot of favor with many divers. There is an active community represented here in the Vintage Diving forum as well as on sites like Vintage Doublehose.com. Check it out. As an example here is my regulator.

Pete

I am surprised that a photographer with no underwater portfolio has customers for future underwater work. Well done! If you have a link to some of your work I'd be interested to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom