Oriskany on her Way to Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the plan is GREAT!!!!! A rec diver will have plenty to look at around 60 to 80 fsw and it will motivate them to move to the next level so they can do more of the dive safely.

Planning a safe rec multilevel dive is going to be harder than you think.

Sounds easy, drop to the flight deck & then work you way up the island. Right?

How many of the mooring lines are going to be attached to the TOP of the superstrucre?
What if your boat is up-current on a ball tied to the flight deck (at 130')?

This is a serious dive, and needs to be respected.

HarleyDiver:

How many of the mooring lines are going to be attached to the TOP of the superstrucre?

Very well put. You can't be sure where you will tie in, that given; you should make sure that you have enough training to do the dive. All this is up in the air. This thing could end up on her side for all we know making it a trimix only dive.

Current is usually not a big issue here...we have our days, but it's nothing like down south.

AquaHump:
Very well put. You can't be sure where you will tie in, that given; you should make sure that you have enough training to do the dive. All this is up in the air. This thing could end up on her side for all we know making it a trimix only dive.
The dimensions of an aircraft carrier are a bit differnet than a regular ship. Her beam is 121 feet just at the waterline - the flight deck is over 200' wide. If this ship were to end up on her side she'd be shallower than if on her bottom - indeed, she may even break the surface.
Realize that at 888', and already drawing over 30' before sinking begins, the stern can be gently lowered to the 218' bottom with less than a 15 degree pitch angle.
I don't think there will be much problem settling her upright.
It's a big boat :)
Rick

HarleyDiver:

The Island alone is over 130 feet long, and about 80 feet from the flight deck to the top, making it plenty big as its own dive.
It's a big boat. :)
Rick

WetDawg:
For tech divers going below 130' just -- the openings just under the flight deck is the hangar deck which is an open space big enough to store all the aircarft on board.
Just below the flight deck is the "gallery deck" or the "O2 level," occupied by catapult and arresting gear machinery spaces, several squadron ready rooms, berthing areas and other assorted offices and spaces. It is a maze of rooms, passages and dead ends. Extremely tricky and dangerous. I have years living on carriers and years diving caves and wrecks and I ain't about to go in the gallery deck without a full team and a complete tech plan.
The Hangar deck is below this. The hangar deck can hold a bit less than half the airplanes in the normal ship's compliment, the rest must stay on the roof (flight deck). I'm guessing the top of the hangar doors will be in the 140-150' depth range. The main deck (the floor of the hangar deck) should be in the 165-170 foot range, with another 50' to the keel in the sand at 218'. Looking at pictures it will be very tempting for OW divers to just dip down to the hangar for a peek - and even more tempting to "swim through" from one hangar door to the other. It is both deeper and a whole lot further than it looks, and extremely dangerous if you're not trained for it.
There's plenty of ship to dive above the flight deck.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Just below the flight deck is the "gallery deck" or the "O2 level," occupied by catapult and arresting gear machinery spaces, several squadron ready rooms, berthing areas and other assorted offices and spaces. It is a maze of rooms, passages and dead ends. Extremely tricky and dangerous. I have years living on carriers and years diving caves and wrecks and I ain't about to go in the gallery deck without a full team and a complete tech plan.
The Hangar deck is below this. The hangar deck can hold a bit less than half the airplanes in the normal ship's compliment, the rest must stay on the roof (flight deck). I'm guessing the top of the hangar doors will be in the 140-150' depth range. The main deck (the floor of the hangar deck) should be in the 165-170 foot range, with another 50' to the keel in the sand at 218'. Looking at pictures it will be very tempting for OW divers to just dip down to the hangar for a peek - and even more tempting to "swim through" from one hangar door to the other. It is both deeper and a whole lot further than it looks, and extremely dangerous if you're not trained for it.
There's plenty of ship to dive above the flight deck.
Rick

are there plans for this ship? I know that navagating her decks while she is afloat is a very hard thing to do. Don't they give crew a few monthe to get the lay out while they are living on board?

AquaHump:
are there plans for this ship?
Many. But I don't know that there is any complete set of the current configuration anywhere. The 'O' boat went through many mods, including the "27 Mod," where the angled deck was added, and the entire superstructure - that is everything above the hangar deck - underwent major modification and rearrangements. The main deck, O1 level and O2 level along the port side are particularly confusing, where there are spaces that require, for example, that you go up a ladder, through a hatch or two, down another ladder and through another hatch to get to the space, with no other way out or in.
AquaHump:
I know that navagating her decks while she is afloat is a very hard thing to do. Don't they give crew a few monthe to get the lay out while they are living on board?
Nope. Spaces are lettered and numbered with a scheme that tells you where they are, and the space letter/number is painted on the bulkhead. And you can't be shy about asking an older hand how to get where you're wanting to go. But underwater those painted letters/numbers won't last long, so... extremely dangerous without the proper training and technique.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom